website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2019 Thread

Dragon

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

The difference with Lance was that everyone knew, but they could never catch. As I said, with the amount of retesting that has been done on Rio 2016 and London 2012 samples, there’s almost no way Bolt was cheating. Just because someone is the best in a sport/event doesn’t automatically make them a doper. 

No one was thinking that at the time. He was a sporting icon for a decade. Now looking back, it's easier to say "Oh, it was obvious he was cheating''

Well, guess what:

cycling - regular doping cases - someone starts dominating - high probability he is cheating

athletics - regular doping cases - someone starts dominating - high probability he is cheating

I see no differences. Armstrong was cycling,  Armstrong was money. Bolt was athletics, Bolt was money. 

We see what is athletics at the moment. And to think the sharks at the top haven't done their best to prolong in cliff drop, whatever it takes is hard to believe.  I have said my opinion for years now, and will stand firmly behind it. 

@Federer91 Fair points, but that still doesn’t change the fact that Bolt’s retests haven’t come up as positive. It is hard nowadays to say with certainty that an athlete isn’t doping. I choose to go with a “innocent till proven guiltily” mindset and generally am willing to give athletes a second chance if they admit to cheating, apologize, change their behavior, and work towards becoming a positive role model.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Federer91 Fair points, but that still doesn’t change the fact that Bolt’s retests haven’t come up as positive. It is hard nowadays to say with certainty that an athlete isn’t doping. I choose to go with a “innocent till proven guiltily” mindset and generally am willing to give athletes a second chance if they admit to cheating, apologize, change their behavior, and work towards becoming a positive role model.

I will never be convinced that bolt is clean.  His achievements in Beijing doesnt make any sense (no outstanding results until may 2008) then suddenly break through with incredible records in the Olympics.   It doesnt add up

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I will never be convinced that bolt is clean.  His achievements in Beijing doesnt make any sense (no outstanding results until may 2008) then suddenly break through with incredible records in the Olympics.   It doesnt add up

He was a 200m speciallist until 2007 tbh.

What doesn't add up is the Carl Lewis story. I've read several reports IAAF doesn't want to touch the 1984 or 1988 doping file cause it would have blown the history books into the sky. Lewis is lucky Ben Johnson proved to be such an idiot. I still reckon Lewis is the biggest scam there ever was who got away with it and he was lucky it still happened during the 80s. I mean he failed multiple drug tests during the '88 US trials and they swept it under the rug. Unbelievable. The cover up only failed with BALCO & Marion Jones but only because it stretched beyond track & field and there was no way they could cover this up anymore.

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

What doesn't add up is the Carl Lewis story. I've read several reports IAAF doesn't want to touch the 1984 or 1988 doping file cause it would have blown the history books into the sky. Lewis is lucky Ben Johnson proved to be such an idiot. I still reckon Lewis is the biggest scam there ever was who got away with it and he was lucky it still happened during the 80s. I mean he failed multiple drug tests during the '88 US trials and they swept it under the rug. Unbelievable. The cover up only failed with BALCO & Marion Jones but only because it stretched beyond track & field and there was no way they could cover this up anymore.

I didnt see any special results in 200 either.  

Just now, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I didnt see any special results in 200 either.  

He won a bronze medal in Osaka WCh 2007 at 200m. I remember seeing him at some junior champs before that, he was quite hyped back then already but American media probably ignored him outright. I guess his height prevented him from being a lock for 100m so people could have been surprised by his 2008 OG results but I wasn't. Though I understand Americans don't care much about other nations in sports they're used to dominate like athletics. Tyson Gay was supposed to win the double in Beijing and he underperformed badly.

Just now, Monzanator said:

He won a bronze medal in Osaka WCh 2007 at 200m. I remember seeing him at some junior champs before that, he was quite hyped back then already but American media probably ignored him outright. I guess his height prevented him from being a lock for 100m so people could have been surprised by his 2008 OG results but I wasn't. Though I understand Americans don't care much about other nations in sports they're used to dominate like athletics. Tyson Gay was supposed to win the double in Beijing and he underperformed badly.

It's not about him winning 3 golds.  Its about shattering 3 world records in such a way. 

Just now, Maxim Fastovsky said:

It's not about him winning 3 golds.  Its about shattering 3 world records in such a way. 

Records are meant to be broken after all. Actually his long stride helped him to beat those records even if he was always last from the blocks. It also helped Kevin Young to set the 400m hurdles record, he had incredibly long legs and still nobody can match his 12 stride pattern some 25 years later. 400m hurdles isn't about speed, it's about endurance & technique.

Let me point out something. All these discussions about doping cases are just useless for us. Why? We all gather up here for one reason. We love Olympic spirit, Olympic Games and everything connected with this sport event. This makes us happy, excited, enthusiastic about that. And if we gonna discuss who might have used some substances some time in the past and doubt somebody's results, this is not really gonna help. This may just disgust us from being part of the Olympic community. Let's enjoy people's results and achievements that they have done something incredible. And if they are caught that they achieved something using some banned substances? Well, let's talk about our personal dissapointment but life goes on. There are and there will be many sucessful athletes who compete clean and they can achieve something big. 

And just an addition..... As WADA keep widening the list of banned substances. Sooner or later, all athletes will be afraid of eating ANYTHING. 

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Well yeah, I really don't think anyone who seriously is into athletics thinks Carl Lewis of all people was clean, do they? :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!