website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2019 Thread

Dragon

Just now, LowerSaxony said:

Sorry, I must have overread it. Would be great. You have any source for it?

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2019-12/wada-executive-committee-unanimously-endorses-four-year-period-of-non-compliance

CRC Chair, Jonathan Taylor QC, said: “Today, the ExCo has delivered a strong and unequivocal decision. While being tough on the authorities, this recommendation avoids punishing the innocent and instead stands up for the rights of clean athletes everywhere. If an athlete from Russia can prove that they were not involved in the institutionalized doping program, that their data were not part of the manipulation, that they were subject to adequate testing prior to the event in question, and that they fulfil any other strict conditions to be determined, they will be allowed to compete.

“WADA now has the names of all suspicious athletes in the LIMS database, and thanks to the painstakingly forensic nature of the investigation, this includes the athletes whose data was manipulated or even deleted, including the 145 athletes within WADA’s target group of most suspicious athletes but also others beyond that target group.

While I understand the calls for a blanket ban on all Russian athletes whether or not they are implicated by the data, it was the unanimous view of the CRC, which includes an athlete, that in this case, those who could prove their innocence should not be punished, and I am pleased that the WADA ExCo agreed with this.”

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

What's even worse, most of the world thinks Russia is the only doping problem in the world and everyone else is clean. Like I've said, watch out for these Russian hackers starting to uncover documents about Western athletes next. This will be a part of the "payback" campaign IMO.

If there are such documents, then: Go Russian hackers! I fully support uncovering any state-sponsored doping system and every athletes that used doping. However, I am sure that they try to do so ever since the first rumors about the Russian doping system came to light.

3 minutes ago, NikolaB said:

Yeah of course. Every word said from Russian side is propaganda and every idea come from US and their puppies is the best possible and only valid options.

Actually USADA already criticized the decision because they wanted a full ban.

I fail to see a more reasonable decision than the one taken today: Russian athletes are in as long as they didn't test positive and got covered by RUSADA. The NOC is banned because Russian authorities failed to cooperate (and actually gave fake data). This is a victory for Russian athletes as long as they are clean.

15 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

No way Russia has a full team in Tokyo, just no frickin' way.

I admit it is speculation at this time, but I bet they will at least have a team size similar to Rio (282). In Rio, they had only Klishina competing in Athletics. There will be at least 20-25 athletes this time. They will (likely) be allowed to compete in team sports. We all know how FINA handles doping. So.. if the clearance of athletes is again up to the federations (which is likely), then I do not see where Russia needs to cut their team severely?

32 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

This goes back to my original question, how much money and effort is ARD or any other media willing to spend to track down the doping in Kenya and find evidence of state-sponsored doping to the extent of the Russian case? In my view - nowhere near as much IMO. I'd say they'll be happy to let Kenya and Ethiopia slide alltogether.

Actually, ARD/ZDF (German public-law TV) invested a lot effort. We had (I think) three documentations only about Kenya. They talked to a lot of people who admit that doping is conducted. They even secretly filmed an athlete who competed in Doha while he was doing doping at his doctor. Sounds like too much effort, when you want to let someone get away with doping. However, they are lacking clear evidence for a state-sponsored doping system in Kenya. Of course, even the best investigative journalists needs to rely on whistle blowers etc.

38 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So glad I woke up late this morning, and just kind of missed this one :p

You should be a little sad. You wanted Russia banned for 30 years IIRC so 4 years is kinda soft :lol:  Plus it's Russia who gets banned but not actually Russians :evil:

25 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

You should be a little sad. You wanted Russia banned for 30 years IIRC so 4 years is kinda soft :lol:  Plus it's Russia who gets banned but not actually Russians :evil:

Not looking to argue this morning so this is all I have to say about the matter:

I’m happy with the decision. The country itself is punished, while the athletes themselves can continue their athletics careers. I will be annoyed by the whole OAR thing, or whatever the decide to go with, but if that’s the cost of clean sport so be it. This wasn’t a political decision, it was one based on fact. Politics must certainly played a role, but the fact remains that Russia engaged in state-sponsored doping, and then attempted to cover it up, and continue to hinder the investigation process. I also think Kenya is not currently involved in a state-sponsored doping scheme, but that the government’s negligence is a sign of complicity, and so they should be severely punished as well. We should also be watching Egypt, Thailand, and the Central Asian nations.

Keeping sport clean is important, and it’s worth fighting for. Emotions aside, this is right for sports, for athletes, and for the integrity of what we love. I know that it can feel like a real kick in the teeth to those who believe their is a Western conspiracy, but the sun will get brighter, and we can be more certain than ever the Russians and other athletes are clean.

I will not be commenting on this further, unless people want technical questions answered, or need help otherwise.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not looking to argue this morning so this is all I have to say about the matter:

I’m happy with the decision. The country itself is punished, while the athletes themselves can continue their athletics careers. I will be annoyed by the whole OAR thing, or whatever the decide to go with, but if that’s the cost of clean sport so be it. This wasn’t a political decision, it was one based on fact. Politics must certainly played a role, but the fact remains that Russia engaged in state-sponsored doping, and then attempted to cover it up, and continue to hinder the investigation process. I also think Kenya is not currently involved in a state-sponsored doping scheme, but that the government’s negligence is a sign of complicity, and so they should be severely punished as well. We should also be watching Egypt, Thailand, and the Central Asian nations.

Keeping sport clean is important, and it’s worth fighting for. Emotions aside, this is right for sports, for athletes, and for the integrity of what we love. I know that it can feel like a real kick in the teeth to those who believe their is a Western conspiracy, but the sun will get brighter, and we can be more certain than ever the Russians and other athletes are clean.

I will not be commenting on this further, unless people want technical questions answered, or need help otherwise.

Seems like you know perfectly well it's a politically motivated bullshit hence you're so sensitive on the matter. Moreover IAAF will do nothing about the Kenya doping and of course neither will CAS or IOC. There's no political gain of throwing Kenya or Ethiopia to the wolves since these countries simply don't matter on the global scale.

Well, the Russian hackers have taken down the Alberto Salazar empire so I hope you won't pretend to be shocked when more Western athletes suddenly get exposed via the same route :p