website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2019 Thread

Dragon

Just now, phelps said:

sure, right now definitely we can't stop them...

but, as I wrote, sooner or later, with a bit of luck and a lot of investments, it might be possible...at least, I hope...

on the other hand, look at all the main doping cases of the recent past...they all came out only because of the olympic samples re-tests, but at the right time no one of them was caught (actually, some of them have not been caught also by those re-tests and are only supposed to have taken illegal drugs and DQed only because of that -with CAS calling a few of those disqualifications back after some time)...

Some of the biggest recent cases ended because of 'normal' law though, Operacion Puerto - one of the biggest cases all-time probably - seems to be the main victim of that.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Asking for 8 years from WADA is insane. But they most know that. I guess they set such high limit cause they wanna get for him higher punishment even though they know he will surely not get 8 years ban. There are plenty of things to be considered. Firstly I would mention his 3-month ban back in 2014 that was given by "chinese government" so they made sure he will not miss the main part of the season. There should have been 2 year ban. Unfortunately with 2 year ban he would have missed Rio 2016 (not sure about the exact dates but if I remember correctly, i t was in winter so he would have) ..... China just made sure he gets punishment that does not hurt anybody, especially China. If nobody digged into it, nobody would have probably known he surved the ban because China was trying to keep that secret. Then, the sample destroying, well that is the serious issue. But as Sun Yang requested to make this hearing public, it means there is nothing to hide from his side. Or at least he wants to make it look like this way. This decision may shorten his ban. To Summarize, I guess he will ger higher back dated ban with some result cancellations which will results into missing Tokyo 2020 but being able to prepare for Paris 2024, if he still will be able to continue his career 5 years later. 

Here's some doping scandals spanning 1968 to 2016

• Hans-Gunnar Liljenwall in the 1968 Olympics was disqualified for a doping violation but in reality the athlete took two beers to calm his nerves before the race, alcohol does not serve as a performance enhancing drug, so unfortunately this is unfair nonetheless, he did break the rules.
  • Ben Johnson in the 1988 Olympic Games. He was competing in the 100m mens final but was stripped his of Gold Medal after testing positive. To this day Johnson says he did not take steroids but he does admit to taking them 8 years prior.
  • Two players, Jon Conway and Jeff Parke in 2008 were the first two players to receive a 10-game ban after testing positive. The drugs got into the players’ systems after they took an over-the-counter nutritional supplement from a vitamin store.
  • Alex Rodriguez in 2009, who was once the highest paid player in baseball, was found to have taken an illegal substance during his recovery in 2003. He tested positive in 2003 but only admitted to it in 2009.
  • In 2004 Dwain Chambers was banned for life from Olympics after testing positive for the designer drug THG. His lifetime ban was not upheld and he returned to the tracks in 2005.
  • In 2012 - you may have already heard of Lance Armstrong, the king of cheating. He won 6 consecutive Tour-de-France titles and after his sixth win, a case was opened against him for doping. After years of back and forth discussions/accusations from governing and regulatory boards he admitted to cheating. He publicly apologized about this on the Oprah Winfrey Show

More of them on the list here... Russian Olympic team, the 6 Six NFL players suspended for taking steroid masking agent and so on....

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

Those hard sanctions. Thankfully for Russia, Bach doesn’t like taking action people want him to :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Those hard sanctions. Thankfully for Russia, Bach doesn’t like taking action people want him to :p

I suppose there will be some hard sanctions and we may face some Russia nominated athletes for Tokyo 2020 banned from the Games. Might be similar scenario like in Rio. Russian squad was cut by 111 names and it caused bunch of Olympic reallocation. I guess that Bach and the team around him will accept this way again. And I am afraid there will be many cuts again. 

Edited by Jan Linha