website statistics

Men's Football AFC Asian Cup 2019

Totallympics

some late news, the Philippines and Cardiff Goalkeeper Neil Etheridge wasn't selected in the final 23 man squad of his team , which's quite better than using him for just one match like they tried to do at the beginning , also i think Cardif has given much pressure on the Filipino side as long as they'll face Huddersfield next match which's a very vital match for their attempts to stay at the premier league 

Argentinians at this Asian Cup:

:KSA coach J. Pizzi

:UZB coach H. Cuper

:PLE player Daniel Mustafá (apparently plays for some regional club in the 4th division here).

Interesting that Palestine also has several chilean players in their team. There is a strong connection between them and chilean football... there is even a club in their first division called Palestino.

I predict the winner will be Japan or Iran. Surprise (maybe SF) will be UAE or Syria.

That was a cheap penalty helping UAE to at least get a point. I still think UAE will win the group.the winner of this group won't face any of top 5 AFC teams before the semifinal (of course only if they all win their groups)

Bahrain is the most dangerous underrated team in Asia. everybody always underestimates them before every tournament and they sometimes surprise. we in Iran know that better than anybody else :p because the worst memory of our football history comes from a Bahrain match.  :( I didn't know even a single player from this Bahrain squad but I knew they won't be easy for UAE. they just have no experience outside of Asia, they were close to the World Cup twice. and both times they were the better team and missed so many chances (against Trinidad in 2006 and NZ in 2010) and lost the World Cup spot only because of lack of international experience.

UAE was far from impressive without their star Omar Abdelrahman. still you never can count the host team out. things like that penalty can always happen for the host team. specially in such a terrible organization like AFC. probably the worst in the world. if you check the schedule , in all 6 groups the two seeded teams will play the last group match ! which is stupid IMO. I think in most (not all) tournaments they decide the order of matches by draw. but here all top seeds will start with the pot 4 team in their group. then pot 3 and finally pot 2. which means we will have so many meaningless match in the last group day. or some teams may even lose intentionally to change their path in knockout round.

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

That was a cheap penalty helping UAE to at least get a point. I still think UAE will win the group.the winner of this group won't face any of top 5 AFC teams before the semifinal (of course only if they all win their groups)

Bahrain is the most dangerous underrated team in Asia. everybody always underestimates them before every tournament and they sometimes surprise. we in Iran know that better than anybody else :p because the worst memory of our football history comes from a Bahrain match.  :( I didn't know even a single player from this Bahrain squad but I knew they won't be easy for UAE. they just have no experience outside of Asia, they were close to the World Cup twice. and both times they were the better team and missed so many chances (against Trinidad in 2006 and NZ in 2010) and lost the World Cup spot only because of lack of international experience.

UAE was far from impressive without their star Omar Abdelrahman. still you never can count the host team out. things like that penalty can always happen for the host team. specially in such a terrible organization like AFC. probably the worst in the world. if you check the schedule , in all 6 groups the two seeded teams will play the last group match ! which is stupid IMO. I think in most (not all) tournaments they decide the order of matches by draw. but here all top seeds will start with the pot 4 team in their group. then pot 3 and finally pot 2. which means we will have so many meaningless match in the last group day. or some teams may even lose intentionally to change their path in knockout round.

VAR is not applied here ? , i agree with u in the penalty given to UAE , if i was the REF. , I wan't call it ofc 

12 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

VAR is not applied here ? , i agree with u in the penalty given to UAE , if i was the REF. , I wan't call it ofc 

only for the knockout rounds. even though I'm not a big fan of VAR but that's probably necessary in AFC more than anywhere else. the whole story of AFC Asian Cup would be different if we had VAR in previous tournaments.

the ref didn't call it himself. that guy behind the goal told him to do that. of course you always can justify such penalties. they call exactly the same penalty with VAR in Juventus Sampdoria match few days ago. but as far as I know the hand was right next to the body. that wasn't a penalty IMO. his hand was in natural position.

PS: we football fans probably want VAR when our favorite team gets hurt by bad officiating but when I watch a match as neutral fan, I really don't like VAR to stop the match for few minutes and for example disallowing a goal after a long celebration ! and beside the biggest match of Iran football history happened with a referee mistake (in favor of Iran) . so I guess I can live without VAR :d

5 minutes ago, MHSN said:

only for the knockout rounds. even though I'm not a big fan of VAR but that's probably necessary in AFC more than anywhere else. the whole story of AFC Asian Cup would be different if we had VAR in previous tournaments.

the ref didn't call it himself. that guy behind the goal told him to do that. of course you always can justify such penalties. they call exactly the same penalty with VAR in Juventus Sampdoria match few days ago. but as far as I know the hand was right next to the body. that wasn't a penalty IMO. his hand was in natural position.

PS: we football fans probably want VAR when our favorite team gets hurt by bad officiating but when I watch a match as neutral fan, I really don't like VAR to stop the match for few minutes and for example disallowing a goal after a long celebration ! and beside the biggest match of Iran football history happened with a referee mistake (in favor of Iran) . so I guess I can live without VAR :d

No , i really want VAR to be applied in all tournaments , yet there're still mistakes , but ofc much better than not using it , especially referees mistakes became something horrible in the last few years , even in Premier league and UCL they do a lot of mistakes so VAR IMO became a must , i also agree with u for the penalty and i think penalties should only be counted if there's a very obvious tackle by defender or handball , but just letting the referee guess the defender intention is something weird. and btw what's the biggest match in Iran history u have just referred :d Iran vs. USA in WC 98 ?