website statistics

Wrestling 2019 Discussion Thread

MHSN

finally, Abraham Conyedo (world bronze medallist 2018 in men's freestyle -97kg) got his official :ITA Italian passport/citizenship and therefore he'll be able to enter the next Olympic qualification tournaments under the Italian Flag...:cheer:

still no news of Kudiiamagomedov (men's freestyle -86kg) and Khakelashvili (men's greco-roman wrestling, -97kg)...most likely they won't be able to represent Italy also next year...:(:facepalm:

UWW is changing the draw technology

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/wrestling-modifies-draw-brings-blockchain-mats

personally I had no doubt the draw wasn't "random" in 2019 World Championships (and also 2018 World Champs) and it was fixed in favor of the host nation in both tournaments. specially this year in freestyle Kazakhstan had super easy draw in 9 out 10 weights ! but with this change, UWW somehow confirms it. well they never officially accept their corruption but maybe this is the a step into the right direction

if anybody interested in Japan Wrestling, they had a rule, whoever won a medal at the 2019 Worlds, also secured his/her place for Tokyo 2020. in other weights their nationals (which is in process right now) apparently acts as their Olympic team trials. whoever wins goes to the Olympics (or the Olympic qualifiers)

Women's 53kg: Mayu Mukaida

Women's 57kg: Risako Kawai

Women's 62kg: Yukako Kawai

Women's 76kg: Hiroe Minagawa

Greco-Roman 60kg: Kenichiro Fumita

Japan also won quotas in Men's 65 and 74kg freestyle and women's 68kg but since they finished 5th, the Olympic place is not decided yet.

I skip the non-Olympic weights and those weights above, this is the list of nationals winners in other Olympic weights.

Men's 97kg: Naoya Akaguma

Men's 125kg: Tetsuya Tanaka

Greco-Roman 97kg: Yuta Nara

finals for tomorrow:

Men's 86kg: Sosuke Takatani vs Hayato Ishiguro

Greco 87kg: Masato Sumi vs Takahiro Tsuruda

Greco 130kg: Arata Sonoda vs Ryota Kono

there will be important finals on Sunday. beside women's wrestling where Japan is favorite for medal in every single weight, I'm more interested in 67kg Greco and 3 lower weights of freestyle, 57, 65 and 74 and it seems the organizers intentionally put all those important weights for Japan to the last day. we will have women's 50 and 68 + freestyle 57, 65, 74 + Greco 67 and 77 all in the last day.

if you are interested, draws are available here, but in Japanese :d

https://www.japan-wrestling.jp/2019/12/20/156279/

and for all die hard fans of Japan wrestling :d

finals for tomorrow:

Men's 57kg: Yuki Takahashi vs Rei Higuchi

Men's 65kg: Takuto Otoguro vs Rinya Nakamura

Men's 74kg: Keisuke Otoguro vs Daichi Takatani

Greco 67kg: Shogo Takahashi vs Tsuchika Shimoyamada

Greco 77kg: Shohei Yabiku vs Kodai Sakuraba

Women's 50kg: Yuki Irie vs Yui Susaki

Women's 68kg: Miwa Murikawa vs Naruha Matsuyuki

interesting results

World Champion and Olympic silver medalist Shinobu Ota lost in the 2nd round

at 74kg. both Mao Okui (who won the quota for Japan) and also world bronze medalist Yuhi Fujinami lost before the SF

4 times World and Olympic Champion Eri Tosaka lost 6-0 to Susaki and can't defend her title in Tokyo

Olympic Champion Sara Dosho lost in SF 9-2 to Murikawa , but since she won the quota for Japan, she will have another chance to challenge the gold medalist from here.

----

also these guys won the nationals today and will represent Japan in Olympic qualifiers

Men's 86kg: Sosuke Takatani

Greco 87kg: Masato Sumi

Greco 130kg: Arata Sonoda

Edited by MHSN

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

and for all die hard fans of Japan wrestling :d

finals for tomorrow:

Men's 57kg: Yuki Takahashi vs Rei Higuchi

Men's 65kg: Takuto Otoguro vs Rinya Nakamura

Men's 74kg: Keisuke Otoguro vs Daichi Takatani

Greco 67kg: Shogo Takahashi vs Tsuchika Shimoyamada

Greco 77kg: Shohei Yabiku vs Kodai Sakuraba

Women's 50kg: Yuki Irie vs Yui Susaki

Women's 68kg: Miwa Murikawa vs Naruha Matsuyuki

interesting results

World Champion and Olympic silver medalist Shinobu Ota lost in the 2nd round

at 74kg. both Mao Okui (who won the quota for Japan) and also world bronze medalist Yuhi Fujinami lost before the SF

4 times World and Olympic Champion Eri Tosaka lost 6-0 to Susaki and can't defend her title in Tokyo

Olympic Champion Sara Dosho lost in SF 9-2 to Murikawa , but since she won the quota for Japan, she will have another chance to challenge the gold medalist from here.

----

also these guys won the nationals today and will represent Japan in Olympic qualifiers

Men's 86kg: Sosuke Takatani

Greco 87kg: Masato Sumi

Greco 130kg: Arata Sonoda

This means that Kaori Icho wont be in Tokyo next year?

5 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

This means that Kaori Icho wont be in Tokyo next year?

Of course, she failed to make the 2019 World Team and her replacement won a medal, that means no second chance for her or anybody else in that weight.

7 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Of course, she failed to make the 2019 World Team and her replacement won a medal, that means no second chance for her or anybody else in that weight.

Thats big shock for me. :yikes:I dont recall that you published that news before. 

Huge surprise. She would have been first wrestler with 5 straight gold medals.

21 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Thats big shock for me. :yikes:I dont recall that you published that news before. 

Huge surprise. She would have been first wrestler with 5 straight gold medals.

well nobody asked :d

but I think I mentioned it before, during the World Champs.

at the end of Japan nationals, this will be Japan's squad for the Olympics, wrestlers in bold are already qualified for the Olympics, wrestlers not in bold are qualified for the Olympic qualifiers and Olympic itself (if they manage to win the quota for Japan) in some weights where Japan has the quota (but not medal) and someone else won the Japan nationals, there will be playoff between them on February

Women's freestyle

50kg: Yui Susaki

53kg: Mayu Mukaida

57kg: Risako Kawai

62kg: Yukako Kawai

68kg: Miwa Murikawa vs Sara Dosho

76kg: Hiroe Minagawa

Men's freestyle

57kg: Rei Higuchi

65kg: Takuto Otoguro

74kg: Keisuke Otoguro vs Mao Okui

86kg: Sosuke Takatani