website statistics

Wrestling 2019 Discussion Thread

MHSN

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Wait, what? How about "she is a patient, they are doctors and so by definition should not comment without clear approval from said patient"? 

typical form to protect the privacy of the patients...

that's how it works nowadays, in the age of lawyers and in the age of people who can't make their own affairs even when it would be the best thing to do...

in Italy that "privacy statement" is part of the ethic code of any doctor...he/she can't say anything to anybody (not even those of the same family) unless he has "officially recorded" permission of the patient him/herself (provided the patient is over 18 years of age, of course)...

The Sassari tournament started in Italy today which is a part of the ranking series events, there is a good live stream in UWW website. today is the whole Greco competition, tomorrow for women and Sunday for the  freestyle.

the level doesn't look great in Greco, only 2-3 countries send top wrestlers like South Korea and Hungary (plus some big names from Russia and Turkey) but in general we have something like 8 wrestlers in each weight. still we had some big matches already, Kim Hyeon-woo vs Lorincz was the biggest one so far.

but based on reports the level will be much better for the freestyle competition. Iran also sent a not-that-bad team. we were supposed to have our own trials at 125kg here in Italy by sending all 3 big names but they changed their mind about it. Alireza Karimi is going to be our only former World Medalist in this tournament.

Sassari finals

55kg: :TUR Cankaya vs :TUR Ayazci (last match of round robin)

60kg: :TUR Uyar vs :KOR Kim

63kg: :HUN Torba vs :TUR Ceker

67kg: :RUS Akhmedov vs :TUR Karakus

72kg: :RUS Kurak vs :HUN Korpasi

77kg: :KOR Kim vs :HUN Levai

82kg: :TUR Akbudak vs :IND Gurpreet

87kg: :TUR Goktas vs :HUN Lorincz

97kg: :ITA Kakhelashvili vs :USA Hancock

130kg: :TUR Yildrim vs :HUN Lam

there are some big names in the finals, but none of these finals are "super great" I think 97kg was the most interesting weight, Kakhelashvili beat Timoncini (in a probably Italian trial) and then Kajaia. Kurak/Korpasi also can be good but they wrestled once in the group round. the only mini surprise was at 67kg, Ryu Han-su lost to Karakus of Turkey. another important match was at 77kg when Kim Hyeon-woo destroyed Tamas Lorincz  8-0 !

Sassari Greco-Roman Champions

55kg: :TUR Hakan Murat Cankaya

60kg: :KOR Kim Seung Hak

63kg: :TUR Mehmet Ceker

67kg: :RUS Azamat Akhmedov

72kg: :RUS Adam Kurak

77kg: :KOR Kim Hyeon Woo

82kg: :IND Gurpreet Singh

87kg: :HUN Viktor Lorincz

97kg: :ITA Nikoloz Kakhelashvili

130kg: :TUR Osman Yildrim

not a great finals session for HUN...they lost all the gold medal matches they entered but one (also TUR lost more matches than they won)...:facepalm:

for what concerns Italy, I think the -97kg class spot would go to Timoncini in any case, as Kakhelashvili is in the same situation of Conyedo and Kudiiamagomedov* (they still don't have the Italian passport, so they can't take part in the Olympic Qualification tournaments nor in the upcoming European Games in Minsk)...

*and finally I found some (very short) news about Kudiiamagomedov...he suffered a bad knee injury in training last summer and he's still recovering from that (of course he had a very delicate operation to fix the damages)...

this is the reason why we haven't seen him at the last world champs nor in the ranking series tournaments this year)...

nothing has been said about how long he still has to wait before coming back (and, more bad news, nobody has any idea about how long it would take for him, Conyedo and Kakhelashvili to get our passport...probably it won't happen in the entire 2019 :cry::facepalm::wall:)...

Edited by phelps

5 hours ago, phelps said:

for what concerns Italy, I think the -97kg class spot would go to Timoncini in any case, as Kakhelashvili is in the same situation of Conyedo and Kudiiamagomedov* (they still don't have the Italian passport, so they can't take part in the Olympic Qualification tournaments nor in the upcoming European Games in Minsk)...

then how come they wrestled in World and European Championships before ?! :facepalm: you don't need a passport to represent a country in a World Championship then ? that's unbelievable.

so they could wrestle in 2018 WCh but they can't wrestle at the 2019 WCh because this one is an Olympic qualifier ?! :mumble: sounds stupid to me.

btw Kudiamagomedov can be easily a medal favorite at 86kg. this is not a tough weight. 2 wrestlers are head and shoulder above the rest and whoever Russia sends will be #3. the 4th medal spot is up for grab and we know there is always that possibility these top wrestlers falling in the same side of the draw as it happened in 2018 WCh.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

then how come they wrestled in World and European Championships before ?! :facepalm: you don't need a passport to represent a country in a World Championship then ? that's unbelievable.

so they could wrestle in 2018 WCh but they can't wrestle at the 2019 WCh because this one is an Olympic qualifier ?! :mumble: sounds stupid to me.

btw Kudiamagomedov can be easily a medal favorite at 86kg. this is not a tough weight. 2 wrestlers are head and shoulder above the rest and whoever Russia sends will be #3. the 4th medal spot is up for grab and we know there is always that possibility these top wrestlers falling in the same side of the draw as it happened in 2018 WCh.

yes, since last year wrestlers can start in every UWW tournament even if they have not completed the burocratic issues to get the new citizenship...it's enough to be under contract with a club team of the federation you want to represent (I think Pavlo Olynik in HUN is in the same situation...he wrestled for them last year, but this time he could be out of contention as he's not fully compliant with the IOC rules, which you know are a lot stricter than those of most International Federations)...

of course, as the Olympics are managed by the IOC, they follow different rules, also for the qualification events...

meanwhile I don't know why the European Games are using the same rules of the IOC...I only read that on an Italian sport website...:dunno:

tbh, I think this time the IOC are right and the International Federation should stop this practice of allowing people without the full citizenship to compete for Countries they are not members of, yet...

but you know, it looks that nowadays the world is going into another direction...and the sports governing bodies can't ignore that...

Edited by phelps

Sassari Women's Wrestling Champions

50kg: :IND Seema Seema
53kg: :RUS Ekaterina Poleshchuk
55kg: :SWE Sofia Magdalena Mattson
57kg: :NOR Grace Jacob Bullen
59kg: :CAN Linda Morais
62kg: :SWE Henna Katarina Johansson
65kg: :HUN Gabriella Sleisz
68kg: :USA Tamyra Mariama Mensah
72kg: :SWE Anna Jenny Eva Maria Fransson
76kg: :CAN Erica Elizabeth Wiebe

Sassari freestyle finals

57kg: :CAN Capellan vs :RUS Tuskaev

61kg: :IRI Yakhkeshi vs :KAZ Kaliyev

65kg: :RUS Idrisov vs :IND Gongane

70kg: :BLR Koliev vs :KAZ Kaipanov

74kg: :ITA Chamizo vs :KAZ Kaisanov

79kg: :KAZ Usserbayev vs :RUS Aminov

86kg: :IRI Bazri vs :KAZ Dauletbekov

92kg: :RUS Tsakulov vs :IRI Karimi

97kg: :IRI Foroutan vs :IRI Talebi

125kg: :RUS Krivtsov vs :HUN Ligeti

The level wasn't good at all, I was expecting more. only Kazakhstan was here with all of their best wrestlers.  the only "interesting" match was Chamizo-Tsabalov in semifinal. while Tsabolov dominated the match but Chamizo only needed one minute to come back and win the match 5-4.

as for the Iranian wrestlers, this is mostly our 2nd and 3rd wrestlers in each weight, (plus 1 or 2 #1 wrestlers in non Olympic weights) they only got good results we already have better wrestlers at home. 65kg, 70kg, 74 and 57 are still VERY weak. even though 2 or 3 of them got hurt by extremely bad/stupid officiating but still that was mostly their own fault. still that wasn't a bad idea to try some 18 years old wrestlers here, but I don't know how they gave another chance to Hajiaghania, this guy is the worst wrestler I ever seen :facepalm:   Emami and Hajaghania managed to lose to someone much much weaker than themselves !!

Foroutan and Talebi both made it to 97kg final, Talebi had a good win over world bronze medalist Conyedo but then his semifinal against Kazakhstan was disappointing. Foroutan also was just a shadow of himself he was destroying everybody last year when he won the World Juniors title. we will seen which one of them is better later today but I think Reza Yazdani should be our representative this year.

in short if I had to pick our world team only Alireza Karimi from this team could be in my list. Bazri was OK here but obviously he has no chance against Yazdani and Ghasempour.

2018 World Champion David Taylor is going to miss the World Championships later this year in Kazakhstan ! he got injured in a show event they held every year in streets of New York and he will be out for a while. but he announced it officially that he will be out for this year.

this means our Hassan Yazdani now has something like 80% to win the gold medal in Astana (aka Nur-Sultan :d ) but not really a good news for him. because even if he wins the gold, people will always taunt him by saying "only because Taylor wasn't there" he is now 0-2 against Taylor and I'm sure he was looking forward for that matchup. it has to wait for the Olympics in Tokyo.