Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
MHSN

Wrestling 2019 Discussion Thread

Posted (edited)

A legend is saying goodbye. Three-time olympic champion, Saori Yoshida, has announced her retirement.  

From her twitter:

"Thank you for always rooting for Saori Yoshida," the Japanese grappler said.

"This time, we decided to break the life of the wrestler for 33 years. I have been working hard as an active wrestler for a long time, thanks to the support of many people. Thank you very much everyone."

The 36-year-old won Olympic gold at Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 and London 2012, with her first Games defeat coming at the hands of Helen Maroulis in the Rio 2015 53kg final.

Only compatriot Kaori Icho has more Olympic wrestling titles.

Yoshida also claimed 13 consecutive world titles up to 2015, making her the most successful wrestler - male or female - of all time.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1073994/thirteen-time-uww-world-champion-and-triple-olympic-gold-medallist-yoshida-retires

Edited by wumo26
  • Sad 1

On 09/01/2019 at 11:13, wumo26 said:

A legend is saying goodbye. Three-time olympic champion, Saori Yoshida, has announced her retirement.  

From her twitter:

"Thank you for always rooting for Saori Yoshida," the Japanese grappler said.

"This time, we decided to break the life of the wrestler for 33 years. I have been working hard as an active wrestler for a long time, thanks to the support of many people. Thank you very much everyone."

The 36-year-old won Olympic gold at Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 and London 2012, with her first Games defeat coming at the hands of Helen Maroulis in the Rio 2015 53kg final.

Only compatriot Kaori Icho has more Olympic wrestling titles.

Yoshida also claimed 13 consecutive world titles up to 2015, making her the most successful wrestler - male or female - of all time.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1073994/thirteen-time-uww-world-champion-and-triple-olympic-gold-medallist-yoshida-retires

Sad news but i expected that. 38 in Tokyo,her chances would be very small.

At least my favorite Kaori Icho is still here. 

5 minutes ago, Dragon said:

nothing, as far as I know the gold medalist Artur Taymazov lost his gold medal from 2008 and not this one (at least so far)

Modzmanishvili silver medal will go to the monster Bilyal Makhov of Russia and Makhov's bronze medal will go to Daulet Shabanbay of Kazakhstan.

4 minutes ago, MHSN said:

nothing, as far as I know the gold medalist Artur Taymazov lost his gold medal from 2008 and not this one (at least so far)

Modzmanishvili silver medal will go to the monster Bilyal Makhov of Russia and Makhov's bronze medal will go to Daulet Shabanbay of Kazakhstan.

My mistake, sorry, I had him disqualified from the wrong Olympics.

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

My mistake, sorry, I had him disqualified from the wrong Olympics.

but that was a good question I have to check UWW rules. I won't be surprised to see him disqualifying from this Olympics too. he was known in wrestling community as a master of doping. apparently his brother (Timur Taymazov Olympic gold medalist in weightlifting from Ukraine) was his personal doping coach.