website statistics

Wrestling 2019 Discussion Thread

MHSN

Artur Taymazov loses his second Olympic gold medal ! IOC already took his 2008 gold medal. and now they are taking his 2012.

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-sanctions-one-athlete-for-failing-anti-doping-tests-at-london-2012-3

now this is interesting because the silver medalist Modzmanashvili from Georgia is also disqualified. the question is who is going to receive the gold medal now ? nobody ? one of those bronze medalists ? both of them ?

there is nothing in UWW rules for situations like this when both gold and silver medalists get disqualified. in London, Komeil Ghasemi (Iran) and Bilyal Makhov (Russia) won bronze. Ghasemi lost to Taymazov and Makhov lost to Modzmanashvili. if they want to follow their usual pattern, Ghasemi should receive the gold because he lost to the gold medalist (even though that sounds stupid) but then on other hand if they count "classification points" Makhov has more. but I guess it will be either both of them or none of them. it doesn't make sense to give the gold medal to just one of them.

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Artur Taymazov loses his second Olympic gold medal ! IOC already took his 2008 gold medal. and now they are taking his 2012.

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-sanctions-one-athlete-for-failing-anti-doping-tests-at-london-2012-3

now this is interesting because the silver medalist Modzmanashvili from Georgia is also disqualified. the question is who is going to receive the gold medal now ? nobody ? one of those bronze medalists ? both of them ?

there is nothing in UWW rules for situations like this when both gold and silver medalists get disqualified. in London, Komeil Ghasemi (Iran) and Bilyal Makhov (Russia) won bronze. Ghasemi lost to Taymazov and Makhov lost to Modzmanashvili. if they want to follow their usual pattern, Ghasemi should receive the gold because he lost to the gold medalist (even though that sounds stupid) but then on other hand if they count "classification points" Makhov has more. but I guess it will be either both of them or none of them. it doesn't make sense to give the gold medal to just one of them.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why sports that hand out two bronze medals are dumb :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why sports that hand out two bronze medals are dumb :p 

wrestling was giving one bronze but they probably told to themselves, why Judo can and we can't ?! :d but to be honest when they made it double bronze medals in 2005, I was sure IOC won't let them do that at the Olympics but I was wrong ! lol

btw this issue already confused the media here, some reported that Ghasemi is going to receive the gold medal and some said he is going to get the silver.

if he gets the gold and assuming Nasirshalal in weightlifting will get that too (gold medalist from Ukraine is under investigation) this will make +3 gold medals for Iran in London Olympics :lol: I think no other county wins that number of gold medals in re-testing. even though it's much less than winning the medal in the competition day but at least better than nothing.

and if we count those 2 possible gold medals, Iran just needs one more to get into top 10 in the medal table :lol:  and that was what our current sport minister announced as his long term goal. I think he has more chance to achieve that in past more than future :p