website statistics

Wrestling 2019 Discussion Thread

MHSN

rumors in wrestling world say the 6 time World and Olympic Champion Khajimurad Gatsalov is going to wrestle for Armenia at the World Championship later this year !! :wacko:

this is weird, first we don't know which weight he is going to wrestle, 97 or 125 ?! if that's 125 why not Russia ?! this is their weakest weight. but still if that's true it will be fun watching him again. he is 36 now.

I was checking Pan American Championships results and wow, USA won all 10 gold medals in men's freestyle ! :yikes: I know they are always the best team in that continent but still Cuba (and sometimes Canada or Venezuela) always win some of gold medals. this is for the first time in history. I wonder if it happened before in any other continent. probably not . this USA team is as good as Russia. I have to say right now Russia and USA are much much stronger than the rest in the world in freestyle.

and it seems Oscar Pino is now totally committed to freestyle. he won a bronze here but Cuba sent someone else (and not Mijain Lopez) in Greco who also won a bronze. I was hoping to see Lopez here :cry:

6 hours ago, MHSN said:

I was checking Pan American Championships results and wow, USA won all 10 gold medals in men's freestyle ! :yikes: I know they are always the best team in that continent but still Cuba (and sometimes Canada or Venezuela) always win some of gold medals. this is for the first time in history. I wonder if it happened before in any other continent. probably not . this USA team is as good as Russia. I have to say right now Russia and USA are much much stronger than the rest in the world in freestyle.

and it seems Oscar Pino is now totally committed to freestyle. he won a bronze here but Cuba sent someone else (and not Mijain Lopez) in Greco who also won a bronze. I was hoping to see Lopez here :cry:

I think we'll see Lopez (if we will see him at all) only in Nur-Sultan (formerly known as Astana) next September (and possibly in Tokyo next year, of course)...:mumble:

UWW announced the World Ranking in freestyle. there are still 2 ranking series tournaments left in the calendar before the World Championship. Sassari in Italy and Yasar Dogu in Turkey. but I can guess the final ranking will be more or less the same. I think most top wrestlers won't participate in these two tournaments. but I can be wrong.

they even predicted the World Championship semifinalists here. of course we don't know if these guys make their own national teams

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/punia-and-atli-ascend-top-freestyle-world-rankings-after-continental-title-runs

57kg

there is no clear favorite here. so the seeding doesn't matter that much. Atli (TUR), Uguev (RUS), Takahashi (JPN) and Sanayev (KAZ) are top 4. I only agree with top 2.

65kg:

Bajrang being #1 is fair enough. Otoguro didn't wrestle at the Asian Champs. so he is 2nd. Chakaev is 3rd not sure if he makes the Russian team.that Turkish guy in 4th place isn't really good. we will have 1 or 3 "weak" seeded wrestler here. Haji Aliyev European Champion is 9th and most probably won't be seeded.

74kg:

the top 3, Sidakov, Burroughs and Chamizo are separated until the semifinal. (still not a sure thing for Sidakov to make the Russian team but that's expected) Chamizo is 4th now but if he wins something in Sassari he will go to the 2nd or 3rd place to face Burroughs in semifinal instead of Sidakov.

86kg:

this is funny to see Fatih Erdin as the top seed ! there are two huge favorites here, Taylor and Yazdani and the are currently 2nd and 3rd. it will be great if Yazdani drops a place and be in 4th place. on other hand it's possible for Taylor to win another tournament and finish 1st but I assume we won't see him in international competitions before the World Championships. whoever Russia sends will be unseeded most probably. no real treat to Taylor and Yazdani but that will be a nightmare to anybody else

97kg:

good thing that Sadullaev and Snyder are #1 and #2 and will only meet each other in the final. I think from there it doesn't really matter who is 3rd or 4th.

125kg:

Geno despite losing the Euro title is in 1st place and Akgul is 4th but Akgul needs just 1point to surpass Khizriev. I think it's just fair to not have Akgul and Geno in the same side of the draw. Deng in 2nd place is somehow funny. he lost to our 3rd wrestler in Asian Championship final but it seems he collected enough points to be seeded for sure.

Rumors in wrestling world say Ismael Muskaev (Russian national Champion. Euro U23 Champion and Yarygin silver medalist) is now Hungarian citizen ! and will wrestle for Hungary in World Championship this year :facepalm::thumbdown:

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the difficult situation, the doctors saved her. Officially the hospital did not want to comment, because the situation is very delicate and it is a personality that glorified Bulgaria.

Wait, what? How about "she is a patient, they are doctors and so by definition should not comment without clear approval from said patient"? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!