website statistics

Swimming 2019 Discussion Thread

George_D

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday at the airport I saw Brazilian TV was showing swimming, but I didn't see what it was. Anyone any clue? It looked American or something but I couldn't see any names.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yesterday at the airport I saw Brazilian TV was showing swimming, but I didn't see what it was. Anyone any clue? It looked American or something but I couldn't see any names.

Maybe ISL (International Swimming League)

Just now, AlFHg said:

Sounds plausible, I had never heard of it. Thanks :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

30 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Also could have been the TYR Swim Series (essentially an American professional circuit)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Also could have been the TYR Swim Series (essentially an American professional circuit)

Nope, it was ISL. I remember seeing at least NYB and LAC in the results, which I now see must be LA Current and New York Breakers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_International_Swimming_League

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nope, it was ISL. I remember seeing at least NYB and LAC in the results, which I now see must be LA Current and New York Breakers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_International_Swimming_League

14 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

FINA has also threatened bans against any swimmers competing in the series.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Ah yeah, that was hilarious. And dumb. But you know, FINA.

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

now I guess they have to keep going, instead...if they still want to have a good swimmer taking part into their main meets (Olympics included), as basically all the top swimmers in the world have already competed in at least once in the ISL meets...

by the way, while nobody cares of the teams and their scores and the not-so-clear and fair rules of the competition itself, the single races are quite interesting (and we've already seen quite a few very fast times here and there)...

Just now, phelps said:

now I guess they have to keep going, instead...if they still want to have a good swimmer taking part into their main meets (Olympics included), as basically all the top swimmers in the world have already competed in at least once in the ISL meets...

by the way, while nobody cares of the teams and their scores and the not-so-clear and fair rules of the competition itself, the single races are quite interesting (and we've already seen quite a few very fast times here and there)...

Yeah I think Honnzu and a few other big names sued FINA and won easily (definitely spelled that wrong)