uk12points

• 3 months later...

Random one

Following  cities was shortlisted for 2023 World Championships host selection:

:POL Poznan

:SRB Belgrad 

:LTU Trakai

The winner will be announced 2nd of September 2019 

Both Belgrad and Trakai haven't hosted World Championships before, while Poznan did it in 2009.

Edited by Bearas

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

4 Irish boats in the A Final at the World Cup in Rotterdam.

3 of those are in Olympic events and we also have 2 boats in B Finals. And with Sanita Puspure absent. Very pleasing results.

The new Irish lightweight double combination of Paul O’Donovan and Fintan McCarthy starting their new partnership with an A Final. 

Edited by OlympicIRL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the Rowing Junior World Championships are underway in Tokyo, in the same bassin that's scheduled to host next year's Olympic regatta...

all infos and results are available, as usual, on worldrowing's official website, along with the full videos (live and on-demand) of the racing sessions...

well, I just gave a look to today's races to see how the environment looks like (yeah, I'm always a curious man :lol:)...

why did I do that? :facepalm::wall:

now I'm literally shocked! :yikes:

this is the worst rowing/canoeing bassin I've ever seen...:yikes::nopompom::facepalm:

basically, it's an artificial channel within the Tokyo docks! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

races start under a bridge of the highway going to those docks...

the first 900 meters of racing have a backdrop made only by a street with trucks going back and forth and piled containers, piled containers and piled containers again (and at about 650/700 meters from the start there's a passage below another highway bridge)...

the last 1000 meters' backdrop is a 10m high grey wall, behind which you can see the same street as before with trucks going back and forth and a small (ugly) hill with a few bushes...

even the stands are only placed on one side of the channel, the same of the cameras, so you won't even see the audience enjoying the races...

if I think of places like Bled, Lucern...even Milan's Idroscalo...I feel so bad...:cry::nopompom:

I just can't believe that the Japanese couldn't find a better place to host their Olympic Rowing/Canoeing events...:facepalm::redcard::spank:

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

the first 900 meters of racing have a backdrop made only by a street with trucks going back and forth and piled containers, piled containers and piled containers again (and at about 650/700 meters from the start there's a passage below another highway bridge)...

the last 1000 meters' backdrop is a 10m high grey wall, behind which you can see the same street as before with trucks going back and forth and a small (ugly) hill with a few bushes...

Now I'm curious about the part from 900 to 1000 meters :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, dcro said:

That's interesting, cross-country course of eventing is supposedly set in woodlands right by the rowing course. :p

I guess they built two trees (yes, built) in the Tokyo dock and there you go, woodlands.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!