website statistics

Judo 2019 Discussion Thread

George_D

• 2 weeks later...

After weeks and months finally we can see the return of Saeid Mollaei to international competitions in China Grand Prix still representing Iran. (part of two man team) it seems from now on the strategy is to participate wherever Israel doesn't participate :facepalm: that's their "smart" plan. :wall: to reduce the chance of facing Israel . you can count on "luck" in one or two tournaments per year ( World Championships and the Olympics )

• 1 month later...

Triple Dutch champion Kim Akker, who retired after 2017 due to ongoing injury problems, has died because of a gas explosion in her home in Mexico last week, aged 22 :(

https://www.judoinside.com/judoka/48837/Kim_Akker/judo-career

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2018 World Bronze medalist Mohammad Mohammadi-Barimanloo announced retirement on his instagram. (out of anger and disappointment) because he was told they are not going to send him to Japan for the World Championships. the official reason is visa issue !! but according to himself this is just a lie and there are "other reasons" behind that. he didn't say what are those reasons but that was obvious. he says he was busy in past few days about that but the final answer was no, Iran was supposed to send only a 2-man team now it's just one.

I really feel terrible for our Judokas. :cry::cry: until this year they at least could try their chance for not getting the Israel draw. but the new policy after that stupid letter to IJF is "not participating whenever Israel is there" which only limits them to continental tournaments :wall: this is almost no difference than suspension. this is self suspension which is extremely stupid., I guess IJF is happy now. they can still continue to stupidly claim they reached agreement. now I don't care if they ban or something. the outcome will be the same. our Judo is cursed, If that was up to me I would ban any kind of activity of this sport. problem solved for everybody.

Edited by MHSN

Saeid Mollaei is in Germany and he is not coming back to Iran, apparently he asked Marius Vizer (IJF's president) to help him participate for the refugee team in Tokyo.

I know he wanted to do this for a long time, I wrote about that here, and it's not only about that Israel thing, and we knew IJF's president himself was encouraging him to do that. and unlike what he will tell the media, he tried his best to beat Casse and he most probably wanted to face Muki in the final and then going to Germany. but he just lost.

I understand Mollaei but he wasn't honest from the first day, and with this he created lots of problems for his teammates, obviously he doesn't care about that. considering the situation, Judo won't exist in Iran anymore. I think everybody will be happy this way, end of story.

IJF made a nice story out of it. they probably can even make a movie. (unfortunately no movie about the Algerian Judoka, that's not an interesting topic as much as Iran)

https://www.ijf.org/news/show/the-true-story-of-a-fight-for-life

and to make a good movie, you have to be prepared and IJF was well prepared . interesting that they took pictures/videos of him and his coach long before the matches, they set the whole thing and the Iranian officials were stupid enough to fall into the trap. now we know more about the truth actually they knew it (or at least they were suspicious), that's why they didn't send anybody else, they also didn't want to send Mollaei (that's why Judoinside wrote an article about that but they later deleted it, it seems that website is so close to IJF, they even knew IJF's secret plans) but he threatened the Iranian officials that he will participate under IJF flag so they let him participate.

IJF had this plan for few months, they talked to Mollaei before about it, thanks to Mollaei now they have hard evidence to put Iran under pressure. I wrote about this possibility in April, that was when Mollaei started to feel he doesn't need Iran anymore, he thinks he is #1 and he is marrying a German girl. so he can do whatever he wants.

as someone who knows almost everything inside and out about the sport system in Iran, I can tell most of what he claims in that interview is correct, but that family part is a big fat lie, that's actually what IJF is putting in his mouth, he doesn't say that directly. he is now IJF's slave, he will do whatever IJF tells him to do. IJF is his only option. but I wonder if they really threatened his family he was only worried about his family when he was in Japan ? he is not worried anymore ? I know how they threaten, they tell you "if you do that, you will have problems" (Mollaei also says such thing in his interview and I believe him) they never say exactly what kind of problems, to make you keep guessing. but in fact there is no "official rule" forcing athletes to boycott Israelis . this is an unwritten policy . that is in fact an empty threat and Mollaei knows that.

Mollaei opened the Pandora's box, nobody dared to do that before, I'm not sure that will benefit him too. he will be easily forgotten if he doesn't win the gold in Tokyo. and obviously this is not going to help the young kids training Judo in Iran because now Iran Judo Federation being suspended is 100% guaranteed and I'm afraid the consequences won't be limited to Judo. (which is not even 1% important here) people are stupid if they think that will force Iran to change a policy, behind the scene talks maybe but obvious and direct pressure never works because Iranians are stupidly proud and never give up on pressure even if that's destroying. Iran boycotted two Olympics before, they can boycott more Olympics and live with that. only Iranian ordinary athletes (and fans) will get hurt but who cares.

bottom line, This policy is not going to change unless the whole system changes in Iran which I lost hope to see that in my life time, that will happen one day but not anytime soon.