website statistics

Judo 2019 Discussion Thread

George_D

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Israel should never take part in these Games

To be fair, if it's a Mediterannean Games, every single country with one meter of Mediterranean coast should at least be allowed to participate :p 

And in between, every single one of those countries should just not be little kids, grow the fuck up and compete with each other. Jesus.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, MHSN said:

and if people think this is a good idea , then Iran should be banned from the whole thing because it's not something decided by the poor Judo Federation. that would be good actually. because then I have no reason to spend my time here in this forum.

thinking about it. I can start spending less time (or no time at all) in the forum from now.

I would not be mad, really. I mean, women can't even watch sport events in your country. Maybe you're not aware how completely crazy this sounds to the rest of the world. What good does it bring to the world to have a country like this competing internationally? This is one of the many reasons why I never, ever cheer for Iran or support your athletes, despite all Iranians here being nice people.

And I (kind of) understand you're disappointed, but there's no reason to abandon the forum. You guys should not blame people who are trying to force some sense into the managers of your sports federation. 

Just now, heywoodu said:

To be fair, if it's a Mediterannean Games, every single country with one meter of Mediterranean coast should at least be allowed to participate :p 

Since both Israel and Palestine are not officially recognized as nations by a bunch of other countries in the world, then maybe leaving both outside of these Games is not such a bad idea at all?

At least Palestine didn't invade another territory and forced international recognition, so what remains of Palestine should be treated differently from what has become Israel.

And let's not even pretend politics is not part of this, or that it should be left behind. Nations are, after all, political organizations and divisions. Israel cannot even coexist peacefully within the Middle East, ffs.

Since both Israel and Palestine are not officially recognized as nations by a bunch of other countries in the world, then maybe leaving both outside of these Games is not such a bad idea at all?

At least Palestine didn't invade another territory and forced international recognition, so what remains of Palestine should be treated differently from what has become Israel.

And let's not even pretend politics is not part of this, or that it should be left behind. Nations are, after all, political organizations and divisions. Israel cannot even coexist peacefully within the Middle East, ffs.

I don't know man, I'm too tired to waste more of what's left of today's energy and time on Israel, it's enemies and their childish behaviour back and forth all the fucking time. It's like 6-year olds who can't get along in the playground.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Great news. Excellent and I see everybody is happy now. time for Iran to completely shut down Judo in the country. this is a lost cause anyway. and I'm sure Mr Mollaei will be happy about this and his former teammates will appreciate his "bravery". I was thinking what if Miresamaeili would have did the same 15 years ago in Athens. what Mollaei was doing in 2019 if there was no Judo at all ? cleaning restaurants maybe. that's exactly what he brings for the possible next judo generations.

and btw this is not the first time. probably first time for an Olympic sport but it happened before in the Paralympics. Iran was banned something like 10-15 years in Goalball and 5 years in wheelchair basketball (from 2008 to 2013) for the same reason.

and if people think this is a good idea , then Iran should be banned from the whole thing because it's not something decided by the poor Judo Federation. that would be good actually. because then I have no reason to spend my time here in this forum.

thinking about it. I can start spending less time (or no time at all) in the forum from now.

Really sad news for the sport lovers, if u want to ban federation why do u ban innocent athletes, why just taking guarantees from Iranian federation that they'll compete against everybody from now on, why Iranian regime doesn't make exception for Judo as long as its only ioc problem,  there must be other solutions and overall there's nothing hurts Israel in Iranian players avoiding them,  they just win extra gifts and opportunities to win medals 

34 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Great news. Excellent and I see everybody is happy now. time for Iran to completely shut down Judo in the country. this is a lost cause anyway. and I'm sure Mr Mollaei will be happy about this and his former teammates will appreciate his "bravery". I was thinking what if Miresamaeili would have did the same 15 years ago in Athens. what Mollaei was doing in 2019 if there was no Judo at all ? cleaning restaurants maybe. that's exactly what he brings for the possible next judo generations.

and btw this is not the first time. probably first time for an Olympic sport but it happened before in the Paralympics. Iran was banned something like 10-15 years in Goalball and 5 years in wheelchair basketball (from 2008 to 2013) for the same reason.

my friend, I know you're furious right now...

but take a big breathe and let things flow...

don't take any initiative when you're under the pressure of facts that just happened...

losing you and your always interesting commentaries, would make this forum (and the entire sport community) a lot poorer than ever...

and trust me, here there's at least one person (me) who's not happy at all about all this sh*t going on...

I will always support you and be against any influence of politics in sport (because we see day after day what kind of disgrace they bring with themselves)...;)

I'm sure that most of those "it was time" comments have been written too quickly, without thinking of how big of a damage this decision does not to politicians nor sport officials, but to the athletes themselves (and especially the younger generations, who most likely are going to see their career cut short because of that) and to the fans, that shouldn't pay for things well beyond their control...

Edited by phelps

I would not be mad, really. I mean, women can't even watch sport events in your country. Maybe you're not aware how completely crazy this sounds to the rest of the world. What good does it bring to the world to have a country like this competing internationally? This is one of the many reasons why I never, ever cheer for Iran or support your athletes, despite all Iranians here being nice people.

And I (kind of) understand you're disappointed, but there's no reason to abandon the forum. You guys should not blame people who are trying to force some sense into the managers of your sports federation. 

this is amazing for me how people have absolutely no clue about Iran and how things work here.

this is not "managers of our sports federation" decision. this is coming all the way from the top. I'm quite sure the sport minister himself will be more than happy to let them participate. not because he cares about Israel (nobody does) he cares about the athletes who tried hard for months and has to withdraw for some stupid politics. but nobody can do anything about it. Iran is not going to give up for much more important things, we are going into a war if you follow the news (not that we are not in a war already) sport ban will change a thing ? are you kidding me.

and this is kind of funny because Iranians are already punishing themselves with this. I see no reason for more, because with this you are punishing the innocents.

when Iran was banned for 5 years in wheelchair basketball. that affected badly some of Iranian players who were pro in Italy and Turkey. I know two them and their lives were ruined because of that. (there is no pro league in Iran and it's hard to find a job for someone on the wheelchair) did that changed the policy of Iran ? no. only someone else paid the price.

you are free to cheer to whoever you wants. but first women can watch most of the sports here. (that's for football and some others) , second this is ridiculous and crazy, and third most of the Iranian national athletes (if not all) are against it and most of them never stopped to blame this stupid rule in public . on TV, anywhere they could. unless the Israel matter (which is not going to change anytime soon), this is going to change soon (because people here are fighting for it) specially if the rest of world don't interfere in our own matters. this is not anybody else's business.

37 minutes ago, bestmen said:

"we have to accept everybody we can mixe everything without any limits without any rules , just like they do in NED :lol:

Everyone, everywhere should have this concept. The world would be a much better place.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela