website statistics

Handball 2019 Discussion Thread

Wumo

• 2 weeks later...

Swedish national team player, Louise Sand, has chosen to stop her career at the age of just 26 years. In a podcast, Louise Sand tells that she has experienced gender dysphoria that can occur when you experience inconsistencies between the original/ biological gender and the gender a person experience.

- I've had it bad lately, and I know what has caused it. I was born in the wrong body. I have never seen myself as a public person, but I fell this can't go under the radar. Therefore, I choose to tell it in my own way and in my own words. If an ordinary 26-year-old had told about gender dysphoria, it would most likely have gone unnoticed. I hope you all understand and respect my decision. Now it's time to live my life how I want to, she says. 

Edited by wumo26

29 minutes ago, wumo26 said:

Swedish national team player, Louise Sand, has chosen to stop her career at the age of just 26 years. In a podcast, Louise Sand tells that she has experienced gender dysphoria that can occur when you experience inconsistencies between the original/ biological gender and the gender a person experience.

- I've had it bad lately, and I know what has caused it. I was born in the wrong body. I have never seen myself as a public person, but I fell this can't go under the radar. Therefore, I choose to tell it in my own way and in my own words. If an ordinary 26-year-old had told about gender dysphoria, it would most likely have gone unnoticed. I hope you all understand and respect my decision. Now it's time to live my life how I want to, she says. 

She could undergo surgery and compete in men's handball, right? It happens the other way around, after all :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, wumo26 said:

I don't think anyone is surprised as Sand has always looked quite masculine. Good for them that they are open about it. :)

IHF has decided who will receive a wildcard for the World Championships in 2025 and 2027 - and at the same time decided on new guidelines for the distribution of wildcards.
In the future, it will be the country that will host the next Olympic Games, which will receive a wildcard for the World Championships three and one year before the Olympics. This means USA receives a wildcard for the WCH in 2025 and 2027.

One question which comes to mind. What happens if the Olympic host qualifies for the WCH and therefore does not need a wildcard?
In 2024, it is Paris that hosts the Olympics, but since France is defending world champions in both men's and women's handball, France hardly needs a wildcard for the World Championships in 2021 and 2023. The IHF Council has not decided on any guidelines who, in that case, will receive a wildcard. 
According to the minutes of the meeting in the IHF Council, the wildcard for USA in 2025 and 2027 is conditional on the USA handball team having "reached a certain level". It is IHF who will decide whether USA at that time has the necessary level to be able to compete at the WCH. 

Edited by wumo26

Maybe they will give the wildcard to France and Europe will just have one more team than what they were supposed to.  

USA is working hard to develop their handball. But I find it unlikely that they will become better than let's say Cuba by 2025. 

• 3 weeks later...

Former Serbian international Novak Boskovic has killed himself aged 29.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Israeli-handball-rocked-by-death-of-Rishons-Boskovic-579555

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 1 month later...

Following the IHF Council decision on the fringe of the 2018 IHF Super Globe in Doha, Qatar on October 18, IHF World Championships will expand to include 32 teams from 2021 onwards. The change will begin with the 27th IHF Men’s World Championship in Egypt, making the event in Germany and Denmark the last senior men’s event that was contested between 24 nations.

The compulsory and performance places for senior events are distributed as follows from now on.

As is currently the case, the World Championship organiser will be directly qualified, along with the reigning world champions. In the case that there is more than one organiser, the number of compulsory places (outlined below) for the organisers’ continent will be reduced. In addition, there will be 12 performance places for the Continental Confederations, which are based on the teams ranked 1-12 of the preceding World Championship.

The compulsory places awarded to each Continental Confederation will be divided as follows: four places each for Africa, Asia, Europe and Pan America. Within Pan America, one place is available for the North America and Caribbean Zone, while three are allocated to the South and Central America Zone.

One additional place is available for Oceania, but only in the case where that national team ranks fifth or higher at the Asian Championship. If no Oceania team places among the top five at the Asian Championship, the IHF will award a Wild Card.

In order to guarantee the quality of the World Championship, the IHF shall evaluate the distribution of compulsory places following each event. The IHF shall have the right to amend the compulsory places for the next-but-one edition of the World Championship. For example, any subsequent amendments from evaluation of the 2021 World Championship will apply from 2023.

2021 IHF Men’s World Championship

For the 2021 Men’s World Championship in Egypt, 2019 world champions Denmark and the host nation are already qualified. According to the new rules and taking into consideration the results of the 2019 Men’s World Championship, the remaining 30 places are distributed as follows:

Africa: 6

Asia: 4

Europe: 13

Pan America: 5 (1 for the North America and the Caribbean Zone and 4 for the South and Central America Zone)

Oceania: One additional place is available for Oceania, but only in the case where that national team ranks fifth or higher at the Asian Championship. If no Oceania team places among the top five at the Asian Championship, the IHF will award a Wild Card.

Wild Card: awarded by the IHF

http://www.ihf.info/en-us/mediacentre/news/newsdetails.aspx?ID=6397