website statistics

Football 2019 Discussion Thread

Henry_Leon

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

We can’t be excusing racism. I think the penalty is quite a bit too harsh, but it is deserved. 

It was not a smart thing to do, but if the object of the joke* himself has 0 problems with it whatsoever, a "That's not very smart, don't do it again" from the FA would have been more than enough. And no, that is not excusing racism. I think Mendy's opinion on this case is a gazillion times more important than your opinion or mine.

*because that's what it was, a joke amongst friends, which should probably have been done over WhatsApp instead of public Twitter

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

It was not a smart thing to do, but if the object of the joke* himself has 0 problems with it whatsoever, a "That's not very smart, don't do it again" from the FA would have been more than enough. And no, that is not excusing racism. I think Mendy's opinion on this case is a gazillion times more important than your opinion or mine.

*because that's what it was, a joke amongst friends, which should probably have been done over WhatsApp instead of public Twitter

My opinion comes from personal experience. I’m an open man, but there are some things I’d rather forget, and have learned a great deal from. Racial jokes can be funny, until there not. There’s so much else to poke fun at. In the end it’s not worth it.

You also have to remember that these guys set an example. We can’t have the thousands of kids and adults that follow them modeling this behavior too. If it was truly an inside joke between friends, it should have been done in private you said.

The FA should have fined him less, and told him the next infraction would be a suspension.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

45 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

My opinion comes from personal experience. I’m an open man, but there are some things I’d rather forget, and have learned a great deal from. Racial jokes can be funny, until there not. There’s so much else to poke fun at. In the end it’s not worth it.

You also have to remember that these guys set an example. We can’t have the thousands of kids and adults that follow them modeling this behavior too. If it was truly an inside joke between friends, it should have been done in private you said.

The FA should have fined him less, and told him the next infraction would be a suspension.

Which is why I think it should have been done on their team's group chat or whatever, but definitely not something the FA should make such a big deal of. There's a shitload of racism in sports where people are actually victims of such attacks, they should focus on that instead of a bit of an unfortunately placed joke between friends.

As a Dutch saying goes: They turned a mosquito into an elephant.

This guy (who's opinion seems more valuable than yours and mine as well in this situation) says it pretty well. 

Spoiler

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Yeah those should both be red indeed, based on just one picture. At least the red card seems to be correct, but the yellow one...

Edited by heywoodu