website statistics

Equestrian 2019 Discussion Thread

dcro

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What's the 'breeding' about? That always makes me sound as if it's not about regular competition, but about who is the best at breeding a good horse :p 

I guess that's because there are a lot of stallions involved, especially in 5/6-year-old divisions. A lot of them never make it to the Olympics or something, but they usually have successful breeding careers. :p

#banbestmen

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/sprucemeadows/eric-lamaze-olympic-show-jumping-spruce-meadows-1.5270948

Some unfortunate news about Eric Lamaze + his thoughts on team changes for 2020

I have to say that I don’t agree with his position, but I am sorry about his condition.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Still being butthurt I see. Ugh.

What he says is not only insensitive, but just wrong. People getting hurt? Jamaican bobsled team?? There are minimum requirements for crying out loud, and having 75 riders from 35 nations is still much smaller representation compared to what we see at the World Championships (where nobody gets hurt, surprise surprise...).

Also, someone ought to tell him that team jumping historically used to be held after individual jumping anyway.

#banbestmen

My only concern with a 3 horse team is that it may turn the event into a lottery (especially in eventing) where winning a medal is more about out-lasting your opponents rather than being the best. In reality, it'll likely be more similar to relays in athletics where one, maybe two major contenders get disqualified, but that's part of the event.

• 2 weeks later...