website statistics

Road Cycling 2019 Discussion Thread

carivan

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

again anyone wanted to work with Peťo... why they join him in the attack then if they don´t want to win..man, what a disappointing race this was.

They didn't join him, he joined them (Alaphilippe, specifically).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, hckosice said:

ok, so after he joined "them (Alaphilippe, specifically) no one wanted to work with him again. Better ?

Nobody in that whole group wanted to work with each other. Really, it wasn't something against Sagan, it wasn't something against Alaphilippe, it wasn't something against Van Avermaet....it was just a few of the best guys who all refused to work together out of fear, and Matthews used it perfectly. It's really not like Sagan was a victim or something, he was just as 'guilty' as the others.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I do hope Sagan gets in full top shape again by the way, imagine the battle on the final little climb of the WCh with a full-powered Sagan, Van der Poel, Alaphilippe, Van Avermaet, Bennett and whatnot :hyper:

Just now, heywoodu said:

I do hope Sagan gets in full top shape again by the way, imagine the battle on the final little climb of the WCh with a full-powered Sagan, Van der Poel, Alaphilippe, Van Avermaet, Bennett and whatnot :hyper:

Is there even a hope of someone beating vd Poel though?

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Is there even a hope of someone beating vd Poel though?

If I'd call that 'hope' :evil: (no really, after watching cycling for around 20 years of my 29 year life, I'd really really like a first Dutch world champion in easily my entire lifetime)

Seriously though, yes. He destroyed Trentin twice on a similar finish in the Tour of Britain this week, but I don't think Trentin is on the level of the others on a finish like this. Besides, those wins could end up being his undoing: he wasn't very impressive in the weeks leading up to Britain, but now he has placed all his cards on the table right there, which might be too early.

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

If I'd call that 'hope' :evil: (no really, after watching cycling for around 20 years of my 29 year life, I'd really really like a first Dutch world champion in easily my entire lifetime)

Seriously though, yes. He destroyed Trentin twice on a similar finish in the Tour of Britain this week, but I don't think Trentin is on the level of the others on a finish like this. Besides, those wins could end up being his undoing: he wasn't very impressive in the weeks leading up to Britain, but now he has placed all his cards on the table right there, which might be too early.

So, basically, it looks like Sagan will be stopped by a Dutchman.

I wonder if Totallympics can survive this... :coffee:

#banbestmen