website statistics

Road Cycling 2019 Discussion Thread

carivan

On 05/09/2019 at 00:47, heywoodu said:

To be fair, it's not like he was ever anywhere near World Tour level...I watch way too much cycling and I only know him because he was the lone Albanian in the peloton :p 

I'm guessing he grew to speak some excellent Italian while riding for those teams like Wilier Trestina?

Quite a lot of Albanians take Italian in school. They have close ties to Italy from what I’ve read. Germany too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

56 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Ah the American and their problem with the geography :p They are so famous for this in Europe :lol:

I know my geography. I just happened to be reading about the history of Albania last week, and there was a lot of talk about huge Italian influence. Though apparently that influence has been turned to Germany.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I know my geography. I just happened to be reading about the history of Albania last week, and there was a lot of talk about huge Italian influence. Though apparently that influence has been turned to Germany.

It was only a joke :p Albania was frist an italian protectorated and after was invaded by Italy during the fascism, it was so close to Puglia. During the 80' a lot of Albanian come in Italy illegaly with boat, that's why the Albanian population in Italy is so high.

Actually Italy really push the Albanian's request to join in the European Union, besides the ecomomical and political trouble in Albania and, not less important, at lo of Italian in recent years go in Albania for the holliday (it's a little and cheap Greece) and we start to have an italian immigration to Albania :p

I have no idea about the Germany influence in Albania, it sounds a bit strange for me. For sure the Germany's army was in Albania during the WWI and probabily Germany was part of the "council" the year after the indipendendce before the 1st president election... But nothing more I guess.

@Gianlu33 If Albania is cheaper than Greece then they are facing serious problems. I do know that the country is strengthening its ties to Turkey as well since it’s the only other Muslim majority European country.

Just now, bestmen said:

Tour of China 2019 ,

Reguigui 4th @heywoodu  2018-03-09_13-02-16.jpg

Behind, apparently, his own leadout :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Excellent finish in the Brussels Cycling Classic*

Spoiler

ED3ftoXXYAIhDj0?format=jpg&name=large

LJNdhfX.jpg

*which is just a very generic race, as is pretty much every race that wants to make itself look big by putting 'Classic' in the name even though nobody actually sees it as a classic.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!