website statistics

Totallympics Sports Review of 2018

Dragon

Olympics are most important for me so there is small number of summer athletes. I also add some categories of my own (or heywoodu ;) )

Male sportsman of the year: no idea - there was no one who made more impression on me than other atheletes, but if I had to choose I would say Alejandro Valverde or Shaun White, but that's only because of my preferences

Female sportsman of the year: Ester Ledecka

Team of the year: Sweden men's biathlon relay and Hungary men's short track relay

Greatest moment of the year: semifinal of volleyball men's WCh Poland vs United States

Biggest suprise of the year: David Gleirscher

Biggest idiot of the year: FIS jury in olympic ski jumping normal hill competition

Biggest disappointment of the year: no medal for Sven Kramer on olympic 10k and no medal for Felix Loch in olympic luge singles

I would like to mention about German men's ice hockey national team also. Unfortunately they lost in olympic final so they can't be in one of above categories, but they surely are worth mentioning.

I wouldn't be myself if not mention about Polish athletes and because they weren't in "world" categories there have to be "Polish" set of them ;) 

Polish male sportsman of the year: Kamil Stoch - two olympic medals, World Cup, 4-hills tournament, Raw Air...

Polish female sportsman of the year: Agnieszka Kobus-Zawojska, Marta Wieliczko, Maria Springwald, Katarzyna Zillmann - quadruple sculls world champions

Polish team of the year: men's volleyball national team - world champions second time in a row

Polish greatest moment of the year: that's hard but I would say Kamil Stoch's gold at large hill in Pyeongchang but only because: olympics > WCh

Polish biggest suprise of the year: Dorota Banaszczyk winning gold medal at karate WCh in kumite 55kg

Polish biggest idiot of the year: Leszek Krowicki - coach of Polish women's handball national team

Polish biggest disappointment of the year: 2nd round of olympic ski jumping normal hill competition

In the end, I know that this topic may not be place for discution, but I have to ask:

8 godzin temu, heywoodu napisał:

Disappointment of the year: Justin Kripps and Francesco Friedrich sharing the 2-man bobsleigh Olympic gold

But why? Why fact that after four runs they both had exactly the same time is disappointing? I think it was the best two-man competition since SLC.

Edited by Col_Frost

1 hour ago, Col_Frost said:

But why? Why fact that after four runs they both had exactly the same time is disappointing? I think it was the best two-man competition since SLC.

I just find it really boring when nobody can say they are "the Olympic champion". I can't wait for 2022 and 2-man finally having one real Olympic champion pair :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

25 minut temu, heywoodu napisał:

I just find it really boring when nobody can say they are "the Olympic champion". I can't wait for 2022 and 2-man finally having one real Olympic champion pair :p 

Emm... Of course they can. There are even more olympic champions than in regular situation :p 

15 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

Emm... Of course they can. There are even more olympic champions than in regular situation :p 

But they didn't beat everyone :p 

Just like Gisin and Maze in Sochi: it took four years until we had 'the Olympic women's downhill champion' because of their tie, meaning nobody was able to beat everyone :p 

I'm fine with ties for silver or bronze, but I hate ties for gold.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 godzinę temu, heywoodu napisał:

But they didn't beat everyone :p 

Just like Gisin and Maze in Sochi: it took four years until we had 'the Olympic women's downhill champion' because of their tie, meaning nobody was able to beat everyone :p 

I'm fine with ties for silver or bronze, but I hate ties for gold.

It's not how it works :p To be a champion you don't need to beat everyone, just nobody can defeat you ;) But ok, you hate that kind of thing and there is nothing I can do with it :) 

Male sportsman of the year: Carlos Yulo :PHI (artistic gymnastics)

Female sportsman of the year: Simone Biles :USA (artistic gymnastics) 
Team of the year: Croatia men's football team :CRO 

Junior sportsman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2018): Takeru Kitazono :JPN (artistic gymnastics)

Junior  sportswoman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2018): Giorgia Villa :ITA (artistic gymnastics)

Greatest moment of the year: Hugo Calderano :BRA beating Fan Zhendong :CHN at the ITTF Grand Tour Finals (table tennis)

Biggest idiot of the year: tie between Neymar :BRA and Kylian Mbappé :FRA (football)

Global

Male sportsman of the year,  Martin Fourcade

Female sportsman of the year.  Ester Ledecká

Team of the year   Washington Capitals

Junior sportsman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2018)  Redmond Gerard

Junior  sportswoman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2018)  Alina Zagitova

Greatest moment of the year  Ester Ledecká winning Olympic Super-G

Biggest idiot of the year  Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri

Slovak

Male sportsman of the year,  Peter Sagan

Female sportsman of the year.  Anastasiya Kuzmina

Team of the year   Mixed Trap Team (Zuzana Rehák-Štefečeková/Erik Varga)

Junior sportsman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2018)  Maxim Čajkovič

Junior  sportswoman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2018)   Emanuela Luknárová

Greatest moment of the year  There a lot here so here only my top 5

1. Anastasiya Kuzmina winning the 3rd careers Olympic gold

2. Peter Sagan winning 6th Careers Green Jersey

3. Our Ice Hockey team defeating (IOA/Russia) at the Olympics in the opening match (one of the very best days of my life) :wub:

4. Peter Sagan winning Paris-Roubaix

5. Our Under 20 Ice Hockey team shocked the USA in the Junior Worlds by this winning absolute beauty goal

Spoiler

Biggest idiot of the year   President of our Biathlon federation who almost denied Paulína Fialková to reach her successes because of idiotic ban he invented and decided to punish her and her sister before the start of the season

Male sportsman of the year : Lasha Talakhadze:GEO(Weightlifting) 

Female sportsman of the year: Tai Tzu Ying(Badminton):TPE (Don't follow the winter games much, yet Tai was undoubtedly the best and most consistent and 2 Olympic golds in 2 sports can't replace it :d

Team of the year: Netherlands Women's Hockey Team :NEDUnbeaten throughout the year along with the World Cup Win

Special mention : Irish  women's hockey team :IRL

Junior sportsman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2018): Alben Esow :IND(Winning a silver and that too in  cycling is not why I chose him, but because he is from the Islands of Andaman and Nicobar,where having someone in national team is only a big thing, facing political mistreatment (no state govt for the islands) ,lack of equipment and infrastructure  etc ...

Junior  sportswoman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2018): Manu Bhaker :IND- Easily the best youth and junior athlete with CWG golds, senior record equalling performance at asiad, multiple junior and senior ISSF world cups .

Greatest moment of the year: Indian table tennis team :IND

1.CWG women's team before finals being told by commentators difficult to win a game but later going on to win gold

2.Asiad men's team winning bronze 

3.Asiad mixed doubles bronze 

4.Women's singles gold at CWG won by Manika Batra. 

Biggest idiot of the year:1.Steve Smith :AUS(cricket)  for his famous ball tampering incident against South Africa.. 

2.North Korean Weightlifting team coach :PRK 

•  

Male sportsman of the year:

1) Marcel Hirscher; 2) Martin Fourcade

Female sportsman of the year:

1) Ester Ledecka; 2) Mikaela Shiffrin; 3) Simone Biles

Team of the year: France M football

Junior sportsman of the year (following my own rules so excluding those who already have very important results at senior level): Remco Evenepoel 

Junior  sportswoman of the year: Laura Stigger

Greatest moment of the year: Ledecka's Olympic gold in Super-G and Giro d'Italia stage 19, Chris Froome's solo ride

Biggest idiot of the year: Serena Williams, US Open final