website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread

OlympicIRL

47 minutes ago, Wumo said:

As far as I know the commericial radio stations don't need to live up to any Danish music quota. But our national broadcasting station does have to, but the language doesn't need to be Danish. In the most recent public service deal (from 2019), DR (Danish Radio, our national broadcaster) must annually offer/play a minimum of 48% Danish music, i.e made or performed by Danish artists and ensembles, on their two biggest radio channels, P3 and P4. 

It's more or less the same here, around 40% must be French songs (especially from what they call new talents), although it's a quota that all radio stations in the country have to respect.

7 hours ago, Bohemia said:

To those who live in countries where English isn't the official language: do your radio stations also have quotas of songs in your native language they have to broadcast?

yep, if I remember well here it is something like at least one SVK artist/band must be played every hour (but it does not matter if the song is in slovak or any other language lol) it apply for all radios not only the national broadcatser but also for the commercial radio stations

It can’t get this audition out of my head. I never heard a duet like this before. With the video having nearly 50 million views on YouTube, I can tell I’m not the only one left with that thought :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Your nations most popular Sport songs ?

in :CZE it is certainly "Zelená je tráva, Fotbal to je hra"  - "Grass is green :p and football is the game"

that song was released many many years ago,you´ll surely recognize the tune "Blue is the color" from Chelsea FC anthem.

The legendary Antonín Panenka and his teammates singing this was a pure hit in back Czechoslovakia, the song is still used before football events in CZ and SK

For :SVK it is definitely the "Nech bože dá !" - "May god give !" song the unwritten anthem of our ice hockey NT, with the main parts often used as goal song of our teams

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

For Ireland the first that springs to mind is the Irish song for Italia 90 World Cup.... the whole country was swept up in a wave of emotion after we qualified for Italia 90 and we made it to the quarter-finals in the World Cup, beating Romania on penalties... this song was synonymous with Irish successes in any aspect (not just in football) for many years after.

The other one that comes to mind immediately is The Fields of Athenry.... this song will be blasted out by Irish fans during rugby and football matches. The song has huge cultural significance to many Irish people.

10 hours ago, hckosice said:

Garuda di Dadaku (Garuda on my chest) - The unofficial song for national football team, the reff tune is based on Papuan folk song 'Apuse'. Supporters also chant the lyrics during matches...

In badminton matches, usually after any Indonesian players win the title they will play either 'Bendera (Flag)' or 'Kebyar-Kebyar'. These two songs are rather patriotic rather than sport specific though. Kebyar-Kebyar also became famous after Arkarna covered it.

Other sports doesn't really have a special song, but during multievent reports on TV station these 2 songs from SEA Games 2011 will be used over and over again as the intro (kinda like the Bugler's Dream).

11 hours ago, hckosice said:

in :CZE it is certainly "Zelená je tráva, Fotbal to je hra"  - "Grass is green :p and football is the game"

that song was released many many years ago,you´ll surely recognize the tune "Blue is the color" from Chelsea FC anthem.

The legendary Antonín Panenka and his teammates singing this was a pure hit in back Czechoslovakia, the song is still used before football events in CZ and SK

For :SVK it is definitely the "Nech bože dá !" - "May god give !" song the unwritten anthem of our ice hockey NT, with the main parts often used as goal song of our teams

We don’t really have a national song in the US (at least not that I can think of). We’re pretty sectarian when it comes to sports, so generally songs are associated with certain regions/teams.

In terms of Olympic theme songs, we have some great ones:

And every Olympics begins and ends with a full play through of this melody:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela