website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread

OlympicIRL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally found the song recognized from the London 2012 Closing Ceremony, while watching Edge or Democracy. Easily one of my favorite “classic” pieces.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

American country music legend Kenny Rogers passed away at the age of 81 :(

My two favourite Kenny Rogers songs, "The Gambler" and "Coward of The County" as well as the classic "Islands In The Stream" with Dolly Parton....

17 minutes ago, Bohemia said:

To those who live in countries where English isn't the official language: do your radio stations also have quotas of songs in your native language they have to broadcast?

No written rule but usually even the most Western aligned station will allocate at least 20% of their playlist slots for local songs. Outside Jakarta however you will find governors or mayors who insisted that local songs must be 60-70 % of the playlist slots.

24 minutes ago, Bohemia said:

To those who live in countries where English isn't the official language: do your radio stations also have quotas of songs in your native language they have to broadcast?

As far as I know the commericial radio stations don't need to live up to any Danish music quota. But our national broadcasting station does have to, but the language doesn't need to be Danish. In the most recent public service deal (from 2019), DR (Danish Radio, our national broadcaster) must annually offer/play a minimum of 48% Danish music, i.e made or performed by Danish artists and ensembles, on their two biggest radio channels, P3 and P4.