website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread

OlympicIRL

Are we just not going to talk about how the Danish jury members are posting songs about breakups, old memories of friendship, and letting things burn :p 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

So with the Rugby World Cup now underway, it's a blessing to again hear the best theme song in world sport on our TV screens once again.... The World In Union, theme song of every Rugby World Cup.

Kiri Te Kanawa - World In Union (Rugby World Cup theme)

And a lovely French version too....

• 2 weeks later...

This night sounds like another sleepless

night. However, this time instead than cooking I am listening to music. For some reason, this came to my mind. It is an original version sung in a typical Neapolitan way.

essentially this song is about a newborn child whose parents are a young girl and a black American soldier, and it is a classic song of Neapolitan music.

curiously, in this day it is the 76th anniversary of the popular insurrection that made Naples free from nazis, possibly the first big city in occupied Europe to do it and without any help from allied army (the so called “4 days of Naples”, “Le Quattro giornate di Napoli”), which came later and used Campania region, especially the cities of Caserta and Salerno as their temporary “capitols” while advancing towards Rome and Northern Italy.

Every once in a while you just come across that song. This is “that song” for me: 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela