website statistics

Baseball 2019 Discussion Thread

phelps

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Huge announcement from USA Baseball today: https://www.usabaseball.com/news/joe-girardi-named-team-usa-premier12-manager/c-309769698?tid=216632610

I have much respect for what this man can do with a team. It should be interesting to see how much he improves the national team.

The question is, can we expect any prominent MLB names since it will be after the playoffs (mike trout comes to mind since the angels are god awful but he's amazing)

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Huge announcement from USA Baseball today: https://www.usabaseball.com/news/joe-girardi-named-team-usa-premier12-manager/c-309769698?tid=216632610

I have much respect for what this man can do with a team. It should be interesting to see how much he improves the national team.

I think he's going to fill the team with big bats, totally forgetting that pitching and defense win the games...:hyper:

oh, wait...is that something he already did with the Yankees? :whistle::raspberry:

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

The question is, can we expect any prominent MLB names since it will be after the playoffs (mike trout comes to mind since the angels are god awful but he's amazing)

no, because MLB players can't play at the Premier 12 by rule...

it's gonna be mainly triple- and double A players, with Japan, Korea and Chinese Taipei using their own main leagues to fill the spots on their respective rosters...

still, US depth chart is beyond imagination, so, if Girardi can put on a good staff to help him selecting the right players in the perfect spot, USA can easily be a top contender in any case (like it happened 4 years ago)...

12 hours ago, phelps said:

no, because MLB players can't play at the Premier 12 by rule...

it's gonna be mainly triple- and double A players, with Japan, Korea and Chinese Taipei using their own main leagues to fill the spots on their respective rosters...

still, US depth chart is beyond imagination, so, if Girardi can put on a good staff to help him selecting the right players in the perfect spot, USA can easily be a top contender in any case (like it happened 4 years ago)...

But by rule they are allowed in the olympics? (i know they wont be in tokyo, but i'm hoping for LA2028 there will be a break and MLB will play)

11 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

But by rule they are allowed in the olympics? (i know they wont be in tokyo, but i'm hoping for LA2028 there will be a break and MLB will play)

yes, at the Olympic Games they could play, but of course they won't because the owners of the MLB teams won't give them permission to leave and play elsewhere in the middle of their season (nor they have any intention to stop the majors for a couple of weeks or so)...

18 hours ago, phelps said:

yes, at the Olympic Games they could play, but of course they won't because the owners of the MLB teams won't give them permission to leave and play elsewhere in the middle of their season (nor they have any intention to stop the majors for a couple of weeks or so)...

Like i said, not next year , but MAYBE in 2028

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

It would only make sense to put MLB players if the Olympics are held in Japan or USA (bc I don't think Venezuela hosts it anytime soon). Otherwise it's a waste of time because nobody will come to watch these matches anyway.

no way, you're underestimated a lot Countries...the entire Central America (Cuba and Mexico above all), South Korea, Chinese Taipei, Australia, the Netherlands...in some way even Italy...

all places where Baseball is the National sport or close to that or, for Europe and Australia, it's in any case a discipline with good audience (in Sydney the stadiums were full and also in Athens and Beijing they were not playing "in the desert"...and there weren't MLB players in those tournaments)...

and don't forget that the Olympics are more about the tv/social media ratings rather than the actual spectators in the arenas...;)

Just now, phelps said:

no way, you're underestimated a lot Countries...the entire Central America (Cuba and Mexico above all), South Korea, Chinese Taipei, Australia, the Netherlands...in some way even Italy...

all places where Baseball is the National sport or close to that or, for Europe and Australia, it's in any case a discipline with good audience (in Sydney the stadiums were full and also in Athens and Beijing they were not playing "in the desert"...and there weren't MLB players in those tournaments)...

and don't forget that the Olympics are more about the tv/social media ratings rather than the actual spectators in the arenas...;)

You can scrap the Netherlands from that, because it's not anywhere close to that.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

28 minutes ago, phelps said:

None of the Central American countries will host the Olympics either. And those are poor countries in general, how many fans could afford the tickets & travel if the Olympics are held in Asia or Europe? I can almost predict baseball tickets would be one of the cheapest for the entire Olympics just to get some people to show up. If MLB stars played in the LA Olympics I guess that would be the most expensive tickets right up there with athletics & swimming. Athens & Beijing, well, maybe some Italians travelled to Greece and I'm sure plenty of Japanese travelled to Beijing as well ;)