website statistics

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread

OlympicIRL

7 hours ago, phelps said:

yeah, with Klosterhalfen right behind her (and she too, below the old ER by Gabi Szabo)...

ah, those Salazar magics! :whistle::coffee:

It's not like Klosterhalfen ran 8:29 already 2 years ago as a 20 year old ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

14 hours ago, LDOG said:

It's amazing how much this dude has progressed, he wasn't particularly great before Rio, now he's throwing top ten all-time distances.

Brazil athletics in general has gotten crazy good these last two years.

Agree, completely ridiculous. As far as i know his PB wasn't even 21 m+ before Rio and then he suddenly improved by more than 1.5 m in 3 years in his mid 20s. I don't really see how brazilian athletics got crazy good? In 2016 they had Braz da Silva and Murer as medal contenders, now those 2 are gone and they only have Romani as medal contender (+ maybe a small outside chance in women's triple jump).

2015: 20.90 m at the age of 24

2016: 21.02 m at the age of 25

2017: 21.82 at the age of 26

2018: 22.00 at the age of 27

2019: 22.61 at the age of 28

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 53 minutos, OlympicsFan dijo:

Agree, completely ridiculous. As far as i know his PB wasn't even 21 m+ before Rio and then he suddenly improved by more than 1.5 m in 3 years in his mid 20s. I don't really see how brazilian athletics got crazy good? In 2016 they had Braz da Silva and Murer as medal contenders, now those 2 are gone and they only have Romani as medal contender (+ maybe a small outside chance in women's triple jump).

2015: 20.90 m at the age of 24

2016: 21.02 m at the age of 25

2017: 21.82 at the age of 26

2018: 22.00 at the age of 27

2019: 22.61 at the age of 28

They also have a pretty good 4×100 I think.

I meant "crazy good" more on a pan american level (given the proximity of the games) rather than olympic/world medal level.

Well, Romani did something extraordinary. Every 22.00+ result is fantastic, not to mention 22.50. How he improved to this level is another question, i hope that PS didnt have anything with that.

I see some great results in shot put, Nigerian is also close to 22.00m.

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

They also have a pretty good 4×100 I think.

I meant "crazy good" more on a pan american level (given the proximity of the games) rather than olympic/world medal level.

Yeah, their relay is pretty good, but a medal would be a major surprise. Even if the US drops the baton as usual, Japan + GB are clearly better individually and Canada + Jamaica + China + Turkey + South Africa + France + Netherlands are all on at least the same level individually (in my opinion), so i think even making the final would be quite a success for Brazil.

Edis Matusevičius :LTU improved his own Lithuanian national record in Javelin Throw to 84.93 in Universiade qualification this morning. 7 centimetres away from Olympic qualification, it is also his third throw over 84 metres.

14 hours ago, Swewi said:

Daniel Ståhl just had 4 discus throws in a row over 70.36!

Where? And is there a link to results? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!