website statistics

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread

OlympicIRL

Jesus Angel Garcia Bragado will end his career after the Olympic Games next year at the age of 50.  

https://www.marca.com/atletismo/2019/12/02/5de4f8bd22601d831c8b45b5.html

Journalist:

"En Tokio disputará sus octavos Juegos Olímpicos. ¿Será su última gran competición?"

Jesus Angel Garcia:

"Mi decisión personal es poner punto y final a mi carrera deportiva en los Juegos Olímpicos. Y así lo afrontaré. Será la última vez que me ponga un dorsal."

In short, he is asked if Tokyo 2020 is going to be his last big competition. He answers that he has made the decision to end his career at the Olympics. "It will be the last time I put on a bib", he says.

Edited by Wumo

Already :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On the other hand, walking possibly the last ever Olympic 50k at age 50, that's something.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Jakob Ingebrigtsen competed in the U20 race at the European cross country championships this morning, that's just not fair :lol: 

Silver for Ayetullah Aslanhan of Turkey, ahead of Irish Efrem Gidey.

On 03/12/2019 at 18:08, heywoodu said:

On the other hand, walking possibly the last ever Olympic 50k at age 50, that's something.

Race walkers are a durable bunch. Don Thompson the 1960 Olympic champion in the 50 km walk wore his country's vest for the last time at the age of 58 in 1991.

Jimmy Gressier won the U23 race and of course can't cross the finish line in a normal way :p He very much likes himself, it seems :d 

One of the commentators on the European Athletics stream has been regularly coughing into the microphone all day long, with that incredibly disgusting cough smokers have :sick: Turn off the microphone when you feel that coming up man :lol: 

Five of the six individual winners were retaining titles they won last year which is pretty unusual. I do wonder whether we need an U23 age group race. It spreads the talent pretty thinly between that race and the senior race, particularly in the women's events where the fields were a bit sparse. Surely U20 and senior races are sufficient together with the mixed relay.

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Jimmy Gressier won the U23 race and of course can't cross the finish line in a normal way :p He very much likes himself, it seems :d 

When people do stuff like that I always think back to Mekhissi-Benabbad's disqualification from the 3k steeplechase at the 2014 European Championships after taking his shirt off to celebrate winning before he crossed the line. Athletes work incredibly hard to achieve success and then inexplicably some choose to put it at risk because of their egos. 

7 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

When people do stuff like that I always think back to Mekhissi-Benabbad's disqualification from the 3k steeplechase at the 2014 European Championships after taking his shirt off to celebrate winning before he crossed the line. Athletes work incredibly hard to achieve success and then inexplicably some choose to put it at risk because of their egos. 

Well he did his "Look at me, I am fucking awesome" thing mostly after the finish :p