website statistics

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread

OlympicIRL

I can hardly hide my excitement about this. Oh well.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Evan Dunfee got screwed in the behind.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Race walking is the stepchild of athletics. Anglo-Saxon world doesn't care about this even more than anyone else. Race walking cycles around names from Central/Eastern Europe, Asia & Latin America, period.

Strangely enough, like many sports, Britain invented race walking as a sport, and it was hugely popular in the 19th Century. We still were winning medals up until the 1960s. Unfortunately now people in Britain don’t like it because the governing body cannot consistently enforce the sports’ own definition of what walking is.

Edited by Grassmarket

22 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Unfortunately now people in Britain don’t like it because the governing body cannot consistently enforce the sports’ own definition of what walking is.

And yet the most ridiculous displays of race walking that I remember are organized in GB, with British people cheering on the stands while their home hero "walks".

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

And yet the most ridiculous displays of race walking that I remember are organized in GB, with British people cheering on the stands while their home hero "walks".

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, those race walk sprints are just awful for the entire race walking discipline, sadly :(