website statistics

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread

OlympicIRL

Last weekend I attended the Grand Prix Sudamericanos Estrella Puente - Darwin Piñeyrúa.

• María Pía Fernández did the women's national record for 3000 m steeplechase with 10'37.12.
  • 16 year old Lautaro Techera did the men's U20 national record for javelin throw with 61.63 m,  just 5 cm away from the national record.
  • 15 year old Mauro Pons did the men's   U18 national record for high jump with 2.00 m.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Grand_Prix_Sudamericanos_Estrella_Puente_-_Darwin_Piñeyrúa_2019

The Barkley Marathon began yesterday :d. It is known as the toughest endurance race (and I totally recommend watching the documentaries made about it). Currently there is only Karel Sabbe from :BEL left in the race after loop 4 of 5. He to do the impossible to make the cutoff for the last loop. Looks like no finishers again this year :(. Laz (the race director) wins again. 

P.S the is the only race in the world with an unknown start time (there is a period of 12 hours in which the race can start (runners are given a half hour warning before the start)) and the only race starting by the lighting of a cigarette and firecrackers.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Aaaaaaand Sabbe is out as well, second consecutive year with no finisher.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Quite some stuff going on about two Ethiopians in the under-20 race in Aarhus, who are officially listed as 18 years old (December 2000), but arguably might look a little older...another problem with birth registration and paperwork like that?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Great, just one photo in which their face is not really relaxed because they are running is enough to start a crusade against them.

A crusade would be a bit much, yes, but I'm pretty sure it would not be the first time things we take for granted (like a baby being registered at birth and dates being pretty much correct) turn out to be a bit different in remote parts of the world. Immediately forbidding any discussion about something sensitive would not be a good idea.

Apart from all that: I'm just saying what's being reported for not exactly the first time (mostly about one specific country). 

34 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

A crusade would be a bit much, yes, but I'm pretty sure it would not be the first time things we take for granted (like a baby being registered at birth and dates being pretty much correct) turn out to be a bit different in remote parts of the world. Immediately forbidding any discussion about something sensitive would not be a good idea.

Apart from all that: I'm just saying what's being reported for not exactly the first time (mostly about one specific country). 

It's not a problem of something being sensitive, it's a problem of mocking and accusing all over the internet (just Google their names, you'll get plenty of articles) two people without any proof. Here the only "proof" is that they're Ethiopians + a pic taken in a particular moment ( I can't even say their looks...this tweet below has nothing to do with the situation but in the first 3-4 seconds of the video you see Yetwale at the start, imo he looks much younger than in that pic:

Spoiler

Kaan Özbilen seems to be on his way to break Mo Farah's European marathon record in Rotterdam.