website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2018 - 2019

hckošice

49 minutes ago, Herki said:

Our women keep on delivering, everyone with PB or near PB results and first time ever 3 Estonians getting points :yes Tuuli showed today that with clean shooting she can finish in top 10, hopefully she keeps this form.

What's the best ever result for EST biathlon? Eveli Saue's 5th place in Hochfilzen 2006?

12 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

What's the best ever result for EST biathlon? Eveli Saue's 5th place in Hochfilzen 2006?

I am pretty sure yes. Well, there was also Kaija Parve who is 7 times World Champion, sadly this was in the 80s under Soviet Union flag.

7 minutes ago, Herki said:

I am pretty sure yes. Well, there was also Kaija Parve who is 7 times World Champion, sadly this was in the 80s under Soviet Union flag.

I never saw Parve on TV due to obvious obstacles though I remember Erika Salumae who managed to win some hardware under the :EST flag? (even though I dislike that sport).

6 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Some experts over here tried to downplay her struggles like "she still has time" which was a joke considering how Davidova moved forward over the last 12 months.

Not everyone develops at the same time and not everyone starts winning at freakin' 21...

Just because one junior is starting to have solid results, does not mean that others that have been on par with her at junior level, will immediately excel in the senior level, because that's a totally different game.

3 hours ago, Werloc said:

Not everyone develops at the same time and not everyone starts winning at freakin' 21...

Just because one junior is starting to have solid results, does not mean that others that have been on par with her at junior level, will immediately excel in the senior level, because that's a totally different game.

The thing is that's our old excuse on the women's side for decades. Any nation can produce like one junior who translates the success into the World Cup scene except for Poland. Hojnisz winning the mass start WC bronze at age 22 is the youngest we've had with such a prolific result ever. All the others had their best results when they were nearing 30 yo or even beyond that. Zuk has had more junior success than anyone before her and this Soldier Hollow sprint was the FIRST time she hit 10/10 in the seniors. Not to mention she's never hit 20/20 either. We're not bad shooters but there's always one miss too many for our girls since like the 90s. Weronika Nowakowska was a miss away from Olympic medals TWICE and then Anna Stera who was one shot away from bronze in Nagano 1998 where she was the only girl in Top 10 with 2 misses (finished 6th, the next best with two misses was 13th, everyone else hit 9/10 or 10/10).

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Zuk has had more junior success than anyone before her and this Soldier Hollow sprint was the FIRST time she hit 10/10 in the seniors. Not to mention she's never hit 20/20 either. 

In only her 25th individual World Cup race, while still being very, very young. That's just not even remotely 'bad', at all. There are tons of solid World Cup athletes who barely ever shoot 20/20 by the way. Not entirely sure who is criticizing Zuk, but they are being rather unfair.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

First time winners: Alexandr Loginov (26yo), Quentin Fillon-Mallet (26yo), Yullia Dzhyma (28yo), Marte Olsbu Roiselend (28yo), and then Vittozzi at 23, Preuss at 24 and Davidova at 22.

Biathlon is a sport with a lot of psychology which tends to benefit some of the more mature athletes and sometimes raw talent does not even translate into good results.

And if we're going to bring into the discussion how many athletes missed out on medals due to a missed shot, we might as well count all of the people that "nearly won" the individual race if not for a single missed shot.

Men top 30 not racing:

3 - Martin Fourcade

6 - Arnd Peiffer

10 - Tarjei Boe

20 - Lars Birkeland

21 - Ondrej Moravec

22 - Sebastien Samuelsson

24 - Christian Gow

25 - Matvey Eliseev

26 - Dmytro Pidruchnyi

29 - Jakov Fak

30 - Artem Pryma

I think that the Finnish Biathlon team needs a new travel agent:

Mäkäräinen, who spent 42 hours getting from Canmore, via Toronto and Atlanta admitted the travel was tough, but once here was focused on the competitions. “I did not know where Toronto and Atlanta were; I had to look on Google Maps!"