website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2018 - 2019

hckošice

1 ora fa, Bohemia ha scritto:

Why?

because if France blow out their race there's a small chance more for Italy to make the podium (which is still a very, very remote chance...but you never know)...

and don't forget the traditional rivalry between ITA and FRA...if I say that I hope FRA goes well, I could go to jail and be tortured...:yikes:

just joking, of course...;)

Well, everyone that knows me on the forum probably knows that I love stats and I love going back in time, so this time I was considering who is still active in the world cup from the previous winners that haven't won a race in a while and how long it's been since their success. I think that is fairly interesting, so let's start with the women:

Anna Frolina - :RUS:KOR - 2008/09 - Antholz - Pursuit (1)

Magdalena Gwizdon - :POL - 2012/13 - Sochi - Sprint (2)

Selina Gasparin - :SUI - 2013/14 - Hochfilzen - Sprint (2)

Synnoeve Solemdal - :NOR - 2013/14 - Hochfilzen - Pursuit (2)

Anais Bescond - :FRA - 2013/14 - Antholz - Sprint (1)

Katharina Innerhofer - :AUT - 2013/14 - Pokljuka - Sprint (1)

Veronika Vitkova - :CZE - 2014/15 - Oberhof - Sprint (1)

Valj Semerenko - :UKR - 2014/15 - Kontiolahti - Mass Start (2)

Franziska Hildebrand - :GER - 2015/16 - Rupholding - Sprint (2)

Ekaterina Yurlova-Percht - :RUS - 2015/16 - Antholz - Pursuit (2)

Olena Pidrushina - :UKR - 2015/16 - Canmore - Sprint (2)

Anais Chevalier - :FRA - 2016/17 - Nove Mesto - Pursuit (1)

Nadine Horchler - :GER - 2016/17 - Antholz - Mass Start (1)

Denise Herrmann - :GER - 2017/18 - Ostersund - Pursuit (2)

Justine Braisaz - :FRA - 2017/18 - Annecy - Mass Start (1)

Tiril Eckhoff - :NOR - 2017/18 - Antholz - Sprint (5)

Vanessa Hinz - :GER - 2017/18 - Kontiolahti - Mass Start (1)

Well, you can mostly see a pattern that the athletes won only once or twice in their career, a lot of the wins came from Antholz and not a single (last recorded) win came from the individual. As for the men:

Michal Slesingr - :CZE - 2007/08 - Oslo - Mass Start (1)

Dominik Landertinger - :AUT - 2009/10 - Khantiy-Mansiysk - Mass Start (2)

Fredrik Lindstrom - :SWE - 2011/12 - Antholz - Sprint (1)

Evgeniy Garanichev - :RUS - 2011/12 - Oslo - Sprint (1)

Dmitry Malyshko - :RUS - 2012/13 - Oberhof - Pursuit (2)

Ondrej Moravec - :CZE - 2012/13 - Oslo - Mass Start (1)

Lukas Hofer - :ITA - 2013/14 - Antholz - Sprint (1)

Jakov Fak - :SLO - 2014/15 - Khantiy-Mansiysk - Mass Start (8)

Simon Eder - :AUT - 2015/16 - Rupholding - Pursuit (3)

Erik Lesser - :GER - 2015/16 - Rupholding - Mass Start (2)

Dominik Windisch - :ITA - 2015/16 - Canmore - Mass Start (1)

Anton Babikov - :RUS - 2016/17 - Ostersund - Pursuit (1)

Benedikt Doll - :GER - 2016/17 - Hochfilzen - Sprint (1)

Simon Schempp - :GER - 2016/17 - Hochfilzen - Mass Start (12)

Arnd Peiffer - :GER - 2016/17 - Kontiolahti - Pursuit (8)

Tarjei Boe - :NOR - 2017/18 - Ostersund - Sprint (9)

Julian Eberhardt - :AUT - 2017/18 - Kontiolahti - Mass Start (4)

Henrik L'abee-Lund - :NOR - 2017/18 - Oslo - Sprint (1)

Fairly evident that German hopes and dreams are destroyed by Johannes and Martin. Quite a few multi-winners like Tarjei, Arnd, Julian, Jakov, Simon with a year or more since last win. Some surprises for me: Bescond, Vitkova, Doll only on a single win. Lastly, it's been a very long time since Landertinger last had a win.

Greetings All, first post.

Quick question for all of you.  I am wondering about those who are confirmed that are not going to Canmore or Soldier Hollow.  I think that I have seen that Russia, Belarus and Sweden have said that they are not attending, as well as Martin Foucade.  Are there others that have made the announcement?  Thanks.

4 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

Quick question for all of you.  I am wondering about those who are confirmed that are not going to Canmore or Soldier Hollow.  I think that I have seen that Russia, Belarus and Sweden have said that they are not attending, as well as Martin Foucade.  Are there others that have made the announcement?  Thanks.

Hello RobtheAggie, welcome to the forum. :hatoff:

Tarjei Boe has also announced he will not go to Canmore and Soldier Hollow.

Edited by wumo26

3 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

Poland will field the best team in USA/Canada. The plan was to take Anterselva easily (esp. in Hojnisz's case).

Just like in 2016 when a bunch of teams did not go to Canmore and Presque Isle, We had some unexpected winners.  With the lead that JT Boe has, I would be very surprised to see him go.  With Fourcade announcing that he will not go, that would make the top 3 not coming if JT Boe decided to not attend.  On the women's side, I would be very surprised to see Laura Dahlmeier competing due to health issues.  

Edited by RobtheAggie

Reminiscing from my recent winner stats, it's actually utterly crazy that there are only 5 women on the tour that have won a world cup race more than twice.

So many retirements left a lot of space for new talents to shine and with some of the greats underperforming, we already have five new winners.

Lithuania had mixed plans about the stages in Canada and USA, but at the moment, it seems that we are going to be sending our strongest athletes, simply due to not really having anybody else to send as well as unreliable nation cup positions.

6 hours ago, Werloc said:

Lithuania had mixed plans about the stages in Canada and USA, but at the moment, it seems that we are going to be sending our strongest athletes, simply due to not really having anybody else to send as well as unreliable nation cup positions.

To be fair, if you're a small nation and you somewhat have the financial resources to at least make this trip, you'd be utterly stupid not to. It is the chance to score some good points :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!