website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Food & Drinks Thread

Quasit

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bestmen said:

for what reason the truffle is very expensive in europe over 500 to 7000 euro the kilo

here it's around 3-6 euro, and not much interesting , many people don't like it   :lol:

There are plenty of varieties of truffles (or tuber) with the most expensive ones being the perigord and the white truffle.

No doubt one of the reasons they are expensive is the status. It is seen as a highly exclusive thing that even the highest quality restaurants only buy a few of, but it's also a matter of supply and demand.

And many not liking it. It's not really unusual that expensive/exclusive things are a thing for the few, not just for the price, but also the fact that people just doesn't like it. Give a normal person a glass of 1000 euro wine and most would spit it out or swallow it out of pure principle. Some people would say that it's an acquired taste, others would say that people just like it because it's exclusive.

But well, can't really say much about truffles. I've tried truffle oil, but those were most likely made from some cheap ones.

6 minutes ago, Agger said:

There are plenty of varieties of truffles (or tuber) with the most expensive ones being the perigord and the white truffle.

No doubt one of the reasons they are expensive is the status. It is seen as a highly exclusive thing that even the highest quality restaurants only buy a few of, but it's also a matter of supply and demand.

And many not liking it. It's not really unusual that expensive/exclusive things are a thing for the few, not just for the price, but also the fact that people just doesn't like it. Give a normal person a glass of 1000 euro wine and most would spit it out or swallow it out of pure principle. Some people would say that it's an acquired taste, others would say that people just like it because it's exclusive.

But well, can't really say much about truffles. I've tried truffle oil, but those were most likely made from some cheap ones.

I can only add that white truffles and perigord are so expensive also (mainly) because they are very rare and they can be found only in very small and specific areas...

unfortunately there are also a lot of troubles with falsification of the origins of the product..as always happens with things that can give a lot of money to the cheaters...

the most common types are not so expensive...

p.s I don't like truffles (of any kind) either...:dunno:

19 minutes ago, phelps said:

I can only add that white truffles and perigord are so expensive also (mainly) because they are very rare and they can be found only in very small and specific areas...

unfortunately there are also a lot of troubles with falsification of the origins of the product..as always happens with things that can give a lot of money to the cheaters...

the most common types are not so expensive...

p.s I don't like truffles (of any kind) either...:dunno:

Was planning to mention good old supply and demand but for some reason I didn't :p

• 2 weeks later...