Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Quasit

[OFF TOPIC] Food & Drinks Thread

20 minuti fa, AlFHg ha scritto:

Bertolli is a relatively famous Italian brand, although it was recently (2014 maybe) bought by a Japanese corporation. If it is written made in Italy, almost surely it is. If it something that is typical of Italy, maybe it is but I'm not aware of. Most probably, it can be something sold as pesto as it is a kind of brand already fidelised :)

PS: sometimes, someone adds tomato sauce to pesto: as far as I know, it is made in a pizzeria franchising quite famous in Italy. Maybe this is just pesto to which sauce was added :D

naaa...

this is the kind of "pesto" @wumo26 was referring to:

https://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Pesto-di-pomodori-secchi.html

meanwhile this is the typical kind of "pesto" you're mentioning (with tomato sauce added to the classic basil leaves):

https://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Pesto-alla-trapanese.html

• Like 1

Time ago I did these for my girlfriend :D I don't think they need any presentation

IMG.png

• Like 4

2 ore fa, Sindo ha scritto:

Maybe it's the "pesto alla siciliana"..Never heard of it and never tasted it though (and honestly all the souces in glass bottles are pretty horrible here :lol:)

1 ora fa, Gianlu33 ha scritto:

I'm almost sure that it isn't the pesto alla siciliana becouse i don't see the ricotta.... It seems more a sort of pesto of tomato and nothing more :p

as I wrote before, that was not the "pesto alla Siciliana", which is this one:

https://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Pesto-alla-siciliana.html

2 minuti fa, AlFHg ha scritto:

Time ago I did these for my girlfriend :D I don't think they need any presentation

IMG.png

they look tasty...

I hope she did appreciate the effort, at least...:p;)

• Haha 1

5 minuti fa, phelps ha scritto:

they look tasty...

I hope she did appreciate the effort, at least...:p;)

yes, she did :) 

• Like 1

1 hora atrás, AlFHg disse:

IMG.png

What are these? They look like Swiss rolls but they were baked in a very different way from what I'd expect them to be served (like we do in Brazil). By the way, we call Swiss rolls in Brazil "rocambole".

10 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

What's the best selling beverage (preferentially non-alcoholic) unique to your country? In Brazil we all drink guaraná, and even Fanta decided to create their own soda version of the drink.

In Mexico, Coca Cola made a similar beverage from guaraná called Senzao some years ago... I liked it when I was in middle school, but after that I found it rather sweet, but that could be from some change in the soda's formula.

Spoiler

senzao.jpg.89aa979e804f531c609caf2e464f8df4.jpg

In Mexico there are a number of local produced sodas and soft drinks; among the most known are "Jarritos" ("little jugs") which are made from tropical fruits like pinneaple, guava, mandarin, watermelon, tamarind and even hibiscus flower.

jarritos.jpg.a8584cb11c07736eb882c64c77703586.jpg

Another popular drink, especially among kids is Tonicol, a drink made from vanilla extract

tonicol.jpg.f7e96c04d1ab373da54d836a2426ac2e.jpg

• Like 1

1 hora atrás, mrv86 disse:

I want them all! Especially the watermelon, tamarind and guava variations. There are local brands in Brazil that market unusual flavors like pineapple and tangerine too. There's even a brand that created a soda made of leaves from a Brazilian plant called chapéu de couro, a rather bizarre choice for a soda variation. The funny thing is that this drink, called Mineirinho, is somewhat popular in the state of Rio de Janeiro.

Mineirinho-Copy.jpg.2b429eafd00792d16111f056c0af281a.jpg

@heywoodu, have you drunk Mineirinho?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

In Mexico there are a number of local produced sodas and soft drinks; among the most known are "Jarritos" ("little jugs") which are made from tropical fruits like pinneaple, guava, mandarin, watermelon, tamarind and even hibiscus flower.

Jarritos is pretty well established in California too, but I’ve had and seen it sold in other states. I think it’s better than most American soda brands. Korean soda is also quite available in Southern California 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

There's even a brand that created a soda made of leaves from a Brazilian plant called chapéu de couro, a rather bizarre choice for a soda variation. The funny thing is that this drink, called Mineirinho, is somewhat popular in the state of Rio de Janeiro.

I would like to try it, I like to experience new flavors :thumbup:

As for "Jarritos" I'll try to find whether they are exported to Brazil.

• Thanks 1

56 minutos atrás, Olympian1010 disse:

Korean soda is also quite available in Southern California 

Is there any reason for that? 

In Brazil it's not uncommon to find Japanese drinks in a number of select stores. Not really surprising, since the largest Japanese population outside Japan lives in Brazil. I'm especially fond of Calpis. This thing is delicious!

i want it2.jpg

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

@heywoodu, have you drunk Mineirinho?

Nope, this is the first I ever heard of it :p 

• Like 1