Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Sign in to follow this  
Quasit

[OFF TOPIC] Food & Drinks Thread

I'm making hutspot (potatoes, carrots and onions, it's terrible) as we speak.

9 minuti fa, wumo26 ha scritto:

Pesto rosso is a general term for red varities of pesto. Pesto alla siciliana is a specific type of pesto. Here we normally make pesto rosso of sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, sunseed oil/olive oil, pine nuts or cashew nuts, garlic and parmesan (sometimes a little basil).

Using dried tomatoes for pesto in addition/substitution of basil is something becoming more and more popular in Italy, as long as using pistachios for it (and for many other things). however, for almost an eternity, pesto in Italy was always referred to the Genoan tradition, as @Sindo said

• Like 1

the street food is the best

3 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

What's the best selling beverage (preferentially non-alcoholic) unique to your country? In Brazil we all drink guaraná, and even Fanta decided to create their own soda version of the drink.

6-14-1000x1000.jpg

Never heard about Kofola ? :dhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofola

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sindo said:

Pesto alla genovese is the only kind of pesto I am aware of, so we do not even have to specify "alla genovese", because that's the only one you can talk about if you just say "pesto" :p But I am not a chef so maybe there are other kinds of "pesto" I am not aware of :lol:

Or maybe you call "pesto" what we call "sugo" (general word for a sauce you put on pasta), there are hundreds of different kind of "sugo".

So  in a nutshell, this is not really Italian, though it says "prodotto in Italia"?

image.png.c0e632bdac45112685dedf344f801a8c.png

4 minutes ago, Quasit said:

So  in a nutshell, this is not really Italian, though it says "prodotto in Italia"?

Maybe it's the "pesto alla siciliana"..Never heard of it and never tasted it though (and honestly all the souces in glass bottles are pretty horrible here :lol:)

3 hours ago, wumo26 said:

All these Italian dishes makes me really hungry.:p I will probably have Fusilli al pesto rosso with some vegetables on the side later. 

I ended up with pasta and pesto as well, though I went with alla Genovese (with some chicken and a bit of vegetables) :p

• Like 1

31 minuti fa, Sindo ha scritto:

Maybe it's the "pesto alla siciliana"..Never heard of it and never tasted it though (and honestly all the souces in glass bottles are pretty horrible here :lol:)

I'm almost sure that it isn't the pesto alla siciliana becouse i don't see the ricotta.... It seems more a sort of pesto of tomato and nothing more :p

I never thought the word "pesto" would be mentioned so many times on a sports forum. :lol: (Before today, "pesto" hadn't been mentioned on the forum. Now it has been 12 times :p.)

Edit: Well 13 after this post. 

Edited by wumo26
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

I'm almost sure that it isn't the pesto alla siciliana becouse i don't see the ricotta.... It seems more a sort of pesto of tomato and nothing more :p

Don't be so sure when they write "italian cheeses" they do not include ricotta :lol:

• Haha 1

2 ore fa, Quasit ha scritto:

Bertolli is a relatively famous Italian brand, although it was recently (2014 maybe) bought by a Japanese corporation. If it is written made in Italy, almost surely it is. If it something that is typical of Italy, maybe it is but I'm not aware of. Most probably, it can be something sold as pesto as it is a kind of brand already fidelised :)

PS: sometimes, someone adds tomato sauce to pesto: as far as I know, it is made in a pizzeria franchising quite famous in Italy. Maybe this is just pesto to which sauce was added :D

Edited by AlFHg