website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Food & Drinks Thread

Quasit

What do you guys usually eat and drink during Christmas and end of the year celebrations?

In Brazil, especially in Rio de Janeiro, we are influenced by Portuguese traditions, so we eat rabanada (sliced bread dipped in milk, scrambled eggs, then deep fried and covered with sugar and cinnamon) and bacalhoada (salted cod served with boiled eggs, tomatoes, olives and potatoes).

We also eat panettone (sweet bread loaf with fruits, or in some cases chocolate chips) and some families prepare rice, farofa (cassava flour mixture), roasted turkey and, my favorite, salpicão (salad mix with chicken meat, ham, mayo and shoestring potatoes). There's always some debate about adding raisins to salpicão, and it can cause fights and spoil the celebrations, lol. By the way, I'm always on the "NO RAISINS" side.

There's also a very infamous sweet, pavê (a sort of pie made of ladyfingers/sweet crackers and a mix of heavy cream and condensed milk, usually covered with chocolate or strawberries). The name pavê sounds like the expression "pra ver" (to see, look), and the biggest dad joke in Brazil is when someone asks "Can we eat it or just look at it?". 

Here are some pictures for those who are interested.

Spoiler

rabanada-com-vinho-do-porto.jpg

Rabanada

RagúiAlmEmFamíliaFZ-5-670x430.jpg

Bacalhoada

salpicao-de-frango.jpg

Salpicão

1052_PanettoneBackautomat.jpg

Panettone

pavê-de-chocolate-tratada-848x477.jpg

Pavê

4 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

What do you guys usually eat and drink during Christmas and end of the year celebrations?

In Brazil, especially in Rio de Janeiro, we are influenced by Portuguese traditions, so we eat rabanada (sliced bread dipped in milk, scrambled eggs, then deep fried and covered with sugar and cinnamon) and bacalhoada (salted cod served with boiled eggs, tomatoes, olives and potatoes).

We also eat panettone (sweet bread loaf with fruits, or in some cases chocolate chips) and some families prepare rice, farofa (cassava flour mixture), roasted turkey and, my favorite, salpicão (salad mix with chicken meat, ham, mayo and shoestring potatoes). There's always some debate about adding raisins to salpicão, and it can cause fights and spoil the celebrations, lol. By the way, I'm always on the "NO RAISINS" side.

There's also a very infamous sweet, pavê (a sort of pie made of ladyfingers/sweet crackers and a mix of heavy cream and condensed milk, usually covered with chocolate or strawberries). The name pavê sounds like the expression "pra ver" (to see, look), and the biggest dad joke in Brazil is when someone asks "Can we eat it or just look at it?". 

Here are some pictures for those who are interested.

Hide contents

rabanada-com-vinho-do-porto.jpg

Rabanada

RagúiAlmEmFamíliaFZ-5-670x430.jpg

Bacalhoada

salpicao-de-frango.jpg

Salpicão

1052_PanettoneBackautomat.jpg

Panettone

pavê-de-chocolate-tratada-848x477.jpg

Pavê

All of the above looks and sounds delicious! I’d be in the no raisins camp too, even though I like raisins, but mostly in things like muesli :d 

I lived every kid’s dream today.

I had Hersey’s Kisses and M&M’s for breakfast, Doritos and Pizza Rolls for lunch, And to finish it off I had cookies, Doritos, and a quesadilla for dinner.

In other news my energy levels and athletic ability seemed low today.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 4 weeks later...