website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Food & Drinks Thread

Quasit

1 hour ago, Bohemia said:

The only ones I can think about are frog legs and snails (I have never tried any one of them, and I'd like it to stay that way)

I saw someone twitted about sea snails or something. I though that frog legs was kind of an urban legend.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m curious to see the responses on here to this:

make it weird please, I don’t want to know about your bland ass food.

As for my country I’d say deep fried butter, alligator, and probably some more I’ll think of later.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well, in a country were insects are part of diet of certain regions, it's difficult to categorize something as weird.

IMO, among the most weird (or I rather say, disgusting) are Tacos de nana (pork's uterus) and Maguey worms

Spoiler

nana.jpg.32ed19d47cf37eb07f2b6c444b33daeb.jpg    

gusanos-de-maguey.jpg.4900a4b3c10ef5efc7d84c643253265e.jpg

And for @heywoodu, who I know is not fond of corn I have something worse: Huitlacoche, a fungus that grows in corn, considered a delicacy in Mexican cuisine.

Spoiler

huitlacoche.jpg.2243a89fe3bb77870b73c5000371f935.jpg

Edited by mrv86

13 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Reveal hidden contents

And for @heywoodu, who I know is not fond of corn I have something worse: Huitlacochea fungus that grows in corn, considered a delicacy in Mexican cuisine.

Hide contents

huitlacoche.jpg.2243a89fe3bb77870b73c5000371f935.jpg

Still looks better than corn.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

in Italy there's nothing considered "weird"...

even if the question about insects is still open, anything else is normally used in our food (in certain Regions more than others, where people might look a bit more "conservative" -I'm one of those really skeptical about most of this kind of things)...

even one of the most famous and appreciated dishes of the Northern Italian cuisine, the "Risotto alla Milanese" is made with cows' bone marrow...:evil:

but especially in Tuscany and Lazio (Rome's Region) you can often find their typical dishes like "Trippa" (the cow's stomach and esophagus with their connecting parts) or "Coratella" (sheep's heart, liver, lungs and spleen all together) or many others (in Valdaosta there's a dish made with pork's mamels :hyper:)...

I guess you need some help to translate it, but here's a list (with photos and description) of the top 15 dishes made with unusual parts of the animals in the Italian cuisine...

https://cucina.corriere.it/notizie/cards/boom-frattaglie-cucina-ecco-15-migliori-provare/boom-frattaglie.shtml

20 minutes ago, phelps said:

in Italy there's nothing considered "weird"...

even if the question about insects is still open, anything else is normally used in our food (in certain Regions more than others, where people might look a bit more "conservative" -I'm one of those really skeptical about most of this kind of things)...

even one of the most famous and appreciated dishes of the Northern Italian cuisine, the "Risotto alla Milanese" is made with cows' bone marrow...:evil:

but especially in Tuscany and Lazio (Rome's Region) you can often find their typical dishes like "Trippa" (the cow's stomach and esophagus with their connecting parts) or "Coratella" (sheep's heart, liver, lungs and spleen all together) or many others (in Valdaosta there's a dish made with pork's mamels :hyper:)...

I guess you need some help to translate it, but here's a list (with photos and description) of the top 15 dishes made with unusual parts of the animals in the Italian cuisine...

https://cucina.corriere.it/notizie/cards/boom-frattaglie-cucina-ecco-15-migliori-provare/boom-frattaglie.shtml

What about casu marzu? :sick:

casu-marzu-in-sassari-restaurants_1.jpg

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

2 minuti fa, Quasit ha scritto:

What about casu marzu? :sick:

casu-marzu-in-sassari-restaurants_1.jpg

it's very, very local (Sardinia only)...

and hopefully there are very, very few lovers of that left...

p.s. to me, it's more than disgusting and should be prohibited under any law and circumstance...:evil:

27 minutes ago, phelps said:

it's very, very local (Sardinia only)...

and hopefully there are very, very few lovers of that left...

p.s. to me, it's more than disgusting and should be prohibited under any law and circumstance...:evil:

The Dutch Wikipedia says this 'cheese' is seen as an afrodisiac. How does that work? It's so goddamn disgusting that you just want to fuck the living maggots out of your body or something?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Nothing too weird that I can remember now. There are dishes made with almost every part of the cow, pork, chicken, etc but I guess that is common to many other countries.

Nothing with unusual animals like insects or frogs. At least not in the region where I live which would be where the "mainstream" argentine cuisine is dominant (maybe a tribe in the north eats insects but I have no idea).