website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Food & Drinks Thread

Quasit

7 horas atrás, Olympian1010 disse:

Well the state, especially LA is home to Little Sri Lanka, multiple Koreatowns, multiple Chinatowns, Little Armenia (which constitutes one of the biggest minorities in the state), and Orange Country has become Tehran 2.0 in a few areas. LA is so diverse that our voting ballots are offered in 17 languages (and that’s just for the county).

So, as you can tell I take a little pride in being a Californian. That also means that I’ve exposed to a lot of foreign food, such as Korean soda, Mexico street vendor food, all types of Asian cuisine, European candy and sandwiches, Midwest barbecue, Poké, Sushi, gelato.

Looks like the paradise to me. I would love to live in a place like this. The closest place in Brazil would be the city of São Paulo. Not even Rio de Janeiro has such variety. I currently live in a "small" town with 500 thousand people. Since I was born and raised in Rio (6 million+ people), I am bored to death in a city with less than 1 million people. There's nothing to do here, and most of the families that settled here in the past came from Germany, so I'm even more bored by their style and especially their food.

6 horas atrás, AlFHg disse:

They are cinnamon and cocoa rolls :)

Yes, cinnamon rolls! How could I forget? I thought they were filled with dulce de leche, somehow, so I thought it was strange to use this filling in Italy. 

7 hours ago, AlFHg said:

They are cinnamon and cocoa rolls :)

They looked amazing

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Looks like the paradise to me. I would love to live in a place like this. The closest place in Brazil would be the city of São Paulo. Not even Rio de Janeiro has such variety. I currently live in a "small" town with 500 thousand people. Since I was born and raised in Rio (6 million+ people), I am bored to death in a city with less than 1 million people. There's nothing to do here, and most of the families that settled here in the past came from Germany, so I'm even more bored by their style and especially their food.

What should I try when I'm (probably) there in March? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 horas atrás, AlFHg disse:

@thiago_simoes dulce de leche is something I will learn to do, one day. It should be very tasty :D

It is! There's a very easy way to do it by putting a can of condensed milk in a pressure cooker and boil it for 35 minutes (link here with instructions in Portuguese). If you want to buy it pre-made, the best brand, in my opinion, is Uruguay's Lapataia. It's worth every cent.

2 horas atrás, heywoodu disse:

What should I try when I'm (probably) there in March? :p 

My favorite thing to do there is to visit a neighborhood called Liberdade. It has lots of stores that sell Japanese snacks, cookies, drinks and candies. You can buy packs of sushi, onigiri, lotus flower root snacks (they taste really good) and drinks like Calpis and Ramune. Also, there's a street fair where you can eat all sorts of food, like takoyaki, gyoza, tempura and nikuman. I recommend eating lamen in a restaurant, too. There's a very good one, but I can't remember the name (I'll look for it).

You should also try Bolivian and Peruvian food if you haven't tried yet. I believe you've tried Mexican food as well, but if you haven't, there are some good restaurants there too. There are also nice Korean restaurants, though they are not my favorite, at all. You should also try Argentine empanadas. There's a fast food restaurant that serves some delicious ones, and I assume it will be easy to find its address online. If you want typical food from São Paulo, you have to go to the municipal market and ask for pastel (deep fried crust pie filled with either cheese, ground meat, chicken, ham or shrimps) and drink caldo de cana (sugarcane juice). 

7 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

My favorite thing to do there is to visit a neighborhood called Liberdade. It has lots of stores that sell Japanese snacks, cookies, drinks and candies. You can buy packs of sushi, onigiri, lotus flower root snacks (they taste really good) and drinks like Calpis and Ramune. Also, there's a street fair where you can eat all sorts of food, like takoyaki, gyoza, tempura and nikuman. I recommend eating lamen in a restaurant, too. There's a very good one, but I can't remember the name (I'll look for it).

You should also try Bolivian and Peruvian food if you haven't tried yet. I believe you've tried Mexican food as well, but if you haven't, there are some good restaurants there too. There are also nice Korean restaurants, though they are not my favorite, at all. You should also try Argentine empanadas. There's a fast food restaurant that serves some delicious ones, and I assume it will be easy to find its address online. If you want typical food from São Paulo, you have to go to the municipal market and ask for pastel (deep fried crust pie filled with either cheese, ground meat, chicken, ham or shrimps) and drink caldo de cana (sugarcane juice). 

Yeah that's a hard pass on the shrimps, but thanks for the rest :d I believe I tried caldo de cana when I was in Brazil, but that's too long ago to really remember it. I do know I tried coconut water straight from a fresh-cut coconut and now, 9,5 years later, I'm still trying to get that taste out of my mouth.

I'll probably only have 1-2 full days in São Paulo though (and longer in São Carlos and Caraguatatuba, but especially in that second one I'm already promised several churrasco's :cheer: ), so I'll have to make some choices (and it's not entirely up to me), but the pastel definitely sounds like a must-try. One with cheese, one with ground meat, one with chicken, one with ham and maybe one with shrimps so I can say "I'm getting fat, I'll just not eat the shrimps one".

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutos atrás, heywoodu disse:

I'll probably only have 1-2 full days in São Paulo though (and longer in São Carlos and Caraguatatuba, but especially in that second one I'm already promised several churrasco's :cheer: ), so I'll have to make some choices (and it's not entirely up to me), but the pastel definitely sounds like a must-try. One with cheese, one with ground meat, one with chicken, one with ham and maybe one with shrimps so I can say "I'm getting fat, I'll just not eat the shrimps one".

You can have pastel anywhere in the state of São Paulo (I believe anywhere in Brazil, to be honest). There's also an option with veggies, and another option filled with heart of palm, so there are even more ways to make your belly bigger. :lol:

In all honesty, if you like Japanese food, Liberdade is the one place to go. But maybe I'm pushing it too hard because I'm a Japanophile myself. I've taken 2 years and a half of Japanese lessons, so it's nice to go to the restaurants there and reply in Japanese when they greet me (much to their surprise, as I'm basically a black latino man).