website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Food & Drinks Thread

Quasit

5 minuti fa, wumo26 ha scritto:

Don't you have other types of pesto, except Pesto alla Genovese, where you live? 

Here we make many varieties of pesto. BUT NEVER MAKE KALE PESTO! THAT IS A CRIME AGAINST PESTO!

sure...

we have so many different kind of "pesto" (which literally means "mashed", so with that word you can basically mean almost any sort of sausage made with non-cooked ingredients -mainly herbs + oil, garlic, sometimes cheese and/or fruits like almonds or walnuts and so on- mashed and mixed together)...

here are some examples (there's also a red version, made with dried up tomato kept in extra virgin olive oil + almonds, pine nuts and basil)...

https://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Pesto-alla-trapanese.html/related/

p.s. here in the North-West of Italy the absolutely most popular version is the "classic" one, with basil, pine nuts, cheese (parmesan rather than pecorino...there's always a dispute about it), garlic and extra virgin olive oil...

all the other versions are not so used/known...

12 minutes ago, wumo26 said:

Don't you have other types of pesto, except Pesto alla Genovese, where you live? 

Here we make many varieties of pesto. BUT NEVER MAKE KALE PESTO! THAT IS A CRIME AGAINST PESTO!

Pesto alla genovese is the only kind of pesto I am aware of, so we do not even have to specify "alla genovese", because that's the only one you can talk about if you just say "pesto" :p But I am not a chef so maybe there are other kinds of "pesto" I am not aware of :lol:

Or maybe you call "pesto" what we call "sugo" (general word for a sauce you put on pasta), there are hundreds of different kind of "sugo".

6 minutes ago, phelps said:

sure...

we have so many different kind of "pesto" (which literally means "mashed", so with that word you can basically mean almost any sort of sausage made with non-cooked ingredients -mainly herbs + oil, garlic, sometimes cheese and/or fruits like almonds or walnuts and so on- mashed and mixed together)...

here are some examples (there's also a red version, made with dried up tomato kept in extra virgin olive oil + almonds, pine nuts and basil)...

https://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Pesto-alla-trapanese.html/related/

p.s. here in the North-West of Italy the absolutely most popular version is the "classic" one, with basil, pine nuts, cheese (parmesan rather than pecorino...there's always a dispute about it), garlic and extra virgin olive oil...

all the other versions are not so used/known...

So the other pesto we have is the pesto alla siciliana :mumble:(all the others are just smashed vegetables). Never heard of that, but I live in the very opposite part of Italy :d But it doesn't look the same as the pesto rosso shown by  @wumo26 :mumble:

3 minutes ago, Sindo said:

So the other pesto we have is the pesto alla siciliana :mumble:(all the others are just smashed vegetables). Never heard of that, but I live in the very opposite part of Italy :d But it doesn't look the same as the pesto rosso shown by  @wumo26 :mumble:

Pesto rosso is a general term for red varities of pesto. Pesto alla siciliana is a specific type of pesto. Here we normally make pesto rosso of sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, sunseed oil/olive oil, pine nuts or cashew nuts, garlic and parmesan (sometimes a little basil).

I'm making hutspot (potatoes, carrots and onions, it's terrible) as we speak.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minuti fa, wumo26 ha scritto:

Pesto rosso is a general term for red varities of pesto. Pesto alla siciliana is a specific type of pesto. Here we normally make pesto rosso of sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, sunseed oil/olive oil, pine nuts or cashew nuts, garlic and parmesan (sometimes a little basil).

Using dried tomatoes for pesto in addition/substitution of basil is something becoming more and more popular in Italy, as long as using pistachios for it (and for many other things). however, for almost an eternity, pesto in Italy was always referred to the Genoan tradition, as @Sindo said

3 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

What's the best selling beverage (preferentially non-alcoholic) unique to your country? In Brazil we all drink guaraná, and even Fanta decided to create their own soda version of the drink.

6-14-1000x1000.jpg

Never heard about Kofola ? :dhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofola

2 hours ago, Sindo said:

Pesto alla genovese is the only kind of pesto I am aware of, so we do not even have to specify "alla genovese", because that's the only one you can talk about if you just say "pesto" :p But I am not a chef so maybe there are other kinds of "pesto" I am not aware of :lol:

Or maybe you call "pesto" what we call "sugo" (general word for a sauce you put on pasta), there are hundreds of different kind of "sugo".

So  in a nutshell, this is not really Italian, though it says "prodotto in Italia"?

image.png.c0e632bdac45112685dedf344f801a8c.png

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

4 minutes ago, Quasit said:

So  in a nutshell, this is not really Italian, though it says "prodotto in Italia"?

image.png.c0e632bdac45112685dedf344f801a8c.png

Maybe it's the "pesto alla siciliana"..Never heard of it and never tasted it though (and honestly all the souces in glass bottles are pretty horrible here :lol:)