website statistics

Women's Football FIFA Under 17 World Cup 2018

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in Women's U-17 World cup history there is no team from AFC (Asia) in the semifinals. It's only the second time in Women's U-17 and U-20/19 World Cup history that we don't have a team from AFC (last tme was in Canada 2002 Women's U-20/19 World Cup).

New Zealand's U-17 women also wrote U-17 and U-20/19 history in New Zealand, by becoming the first U-team from New Zealand to qualify for the semifinals in a U-17 or U-20/19 tournament for women and men. 

Ghana lost to Mexico in penalties after the match ended 2-2 with a mistake by Ghana's goalkeeper in the 82nd minute , but i've to say it was a beautiful free kick by the Mexican player , Ghana's coach substituted this goalkeeper before the end of the match but her substitute didn't do anything special in penalties , she even didn't move in 2 penalties so i wonder if she even was trained for penalties before the match , anyway Congrats for Mexico who made it into Semis for the 1st time in their history after they lost in quarters last 2 times and btw 3 out of 4 quarterfinals matches were decided by penalties as we didn't have overtime in this tournament 

Il y a 1 heure , thepharoah a déclaré:

she even didn't move in 2 penalties so i wonder if she even was trained for penalties before the match

That is a common mistake about penalty strategy but you must stop thinking that a goalkeeper who didn't move is idiot or not-trained ...

The choice not to move is no less rational than the choice to move, actually it is maybe more judicious.

People, and directly the keeper, tend to prefer seeing the goalie dive, even on the wrong side, than staying on his feet, though the result is the same no matter how close he was to the ball

There is more to say about penalty psychology, thus I invite you to consult this interesting article https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0167487006001048

Edited by SalamAkhi