website statistics

Karate WKF World Championships 2018

phelps

4 minuty temu, thepharoah napisał:

Every country bans athletes from participating should be banned from organizing any further events in this sport , but i didn't know that there's a serious politicial problem between Spain and Kosovo that makes them don't show flags of Kosovo during medal ceremony in mediterranean games and now banning their athletes from participating , despite tge fact Kosovo has some very good talents in Karate that could have even won medals here 

I wouldn't say it's a serious problem. It's just that Spain doesn't rocognize of Kosovo. This case with Kosovo is very strange. Personally I don't have problems with this country, I believe that their citizens know best which country they live in and I don't understand why foreign country will of keeping or not diplomatic relations with it should be decisive, but there is some regulation in IOC, I believe, that future member should have this relations with most countries of the world. Kosovo is recognize only by half of the world so this kind of situation will happen, probably. 

14 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

Every country bans athletes from participating should be banned from organizing any further events in this sport , but i didn't know that there's a serious politicial problem between Spain and Kosovo that makes them don't show flags of Kosovo during medal ceremony in mediterranean games and now banning their athletes from participating , despite tge fact Kosovo has some very good talents in Karate that could have even won medals here 

Spain's Kosov problem is called Catalunya :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, Col_Frost said:

I wouldn't say it's a serious problem. It's just that Spain doesn't rocognize of Kosovo. This case with Kosovo is very strange. Personally I don't have problems with this country, I believe that their citizens know best which country they live in and I don't understand why foreign country will of keeping or not diplomatic relations with it should be decisive, but there is some regulation in IOC, I believe, that future member should have this relations with most countries of the world. Kosovo is recognize only by half of the world so this kind of situation will happen, probably. 

The issue in a specific case like this though is that no matter what one thinks about independence or not, if country X is a member of sports federation Y, they should be allowed to compete under their flag in events of sports federation Y, no matter which country or sports we're talking about.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

That's excatly what i think about independence of states , people of this state should decide on their own if they want to involve in this country or have their independence , any international federation from now on must have written guarantees from any country that organizes a big international event that every member of this international federation would participate under their flags 

1 hour ago, phelps said:

it's not a question between ESP and KOS directly, but Spain is one of those Nations that don't recognized the "new" Republic of Kosovo yet (only 113 Countries around the world currently recognize Kosovo as a legitimate indipendent State...Italy unfortunately is among them :facepalm:)...

Spain doesn’t recognize Puerto Rico as a country either and they have no problems letting them compete under their own flag.

20 minuti fa, Nate River ha scritto:

Spain doesn’t recognize Puerto Rico as a country either and they have no problems letting them compete under their own flag.

I think no nation in the world recognizes Puerto Rico as an indipendent state, but this is another story

hace 10 minutos, Nate River said:

Puerto Rico is not a country and isn't recognized as such by anyone but was accepted as a NOC by IOC (and everyone else) before the limitations tightened. 

That being said, I think Spain acted poorly here. Brazil and Argentina don't recognize Kosovo either but had no problems with their participation at the olympics and YOG (played anthem, displayed flag, etc).  

It's not possible to separate sport and politics completely (because everything is politic in truth), but we should do the best effort.

Just now, LDOG said:

That being said, I think Spain acted poorly here. Brazil and Argentina don't recognize Kosovo either but had no problems with their participation at the olympics and YOG (played anthem, displayed flag, etc).  

It's not possible to separate sport and politics completely (because everything is politic in truth), but we should do the best effort.

to be honest Olympics is totally different story than a WCH , but i think each country doesn't want to host some countries that they know very will they will participate can simply don't organize sporting tournaments especially major events , i don't think think putting a flag inside a stadium is something that will bring shame to the country