website statistics

Karate WKF World Championships 2018

phelps

They should really bring back the scoring system for Kata, it's OK to keep the knockout format as it is but this is stupid that refs only have to declare winner by just a flag. I would like to see a score like 9.88 to 9.50 instead of just a 5-0 ! I know Kata is essential in Karate but having JPN-ESP in all 4 team and individual finals just shows how predictable this is.

Iran will be in men's team Kata bronze medal match vs Turkey. even though Turkey will be huge favorite here still it's good to have a representative in a Kata medal match.

to me there are so many problems with Karate competition

1) time of the competition, to me having 4 minutes (for both men and women) plus 1 minute of extra time will be fine.

2) format of the competition, having all finals at the same day is not a good idea. they just can have 2-3 events per day with finals in evening.

3) the way they start and finish one event before moving to another one. just doesn't make sense. they can finish the 1st round of event A and then go to 1st round of event B  and so on. with this athletes will have enough time to recover between their matches. right now sometimes there is less than 5 minutes rest.

4) scoring system in Kata as I explained

2 ore fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

2016 men: Japan vs France

2016 women: Japan vs Spain

2014 men: Spain vs Egypt

2014 women: Germany vs Japan

2012 men: Japan vs Italy

2012 women: Japan vs Italy

2010 men: Japan vs Italy

2010 women: Japan vs Vietnam

2008 men: Japan vs France

2008 women: Japan vs France

Japan against France or Italy seem much more boring predictable results than Japan against Spain :p 

that was the past...

in the last couple of years all the main events have JPN then ESP and then ITA as an established ranking (since Karate became more widely spread around the world, France are losing day after day their superiority, especially in Kata)...

2 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

They should really bring back the scoring system for Kata, it's OK to keep the knockout format as it is but this is stupid that refs only have to declare winner by just a flag. I would like to see a score like 9.88 to 9.50 instead of just a 5-0 ! I know Kata is essential in Karate but having JPN-ESP in all 4 team and individual finals just shows how predictable this is.

Iran will be in men's team Kata bronze medal match vs Turkey. even though Turkey will be huge favorite here still it's good to have a representative in a Kata medal match.

to me there are so many problems with Karate competition

1) time of the competition, to me having 4 minutes (for both men and women) plus 1 minute of extra time will be fine.

2) format of the competition, having all finals at the same day is not a good idea. they just can have 2-3 events per day with finals in evening.

3) the way they start and finish one event before moving to another one. just doesn't make sense. they can finish the 1st round of event A and then go to 1st round of event B  and so on. with this athletes will have enough time to recover between their matches. right now sometimes there is less than 5 minutes rest.

4) scoring system in Kata as I explained

basically I agree on everything...

I'd be happy also with just 3+1 minute as the Kumite bouts time limits (4+1 would be better, but still)...

and the best competition format to me is the one used in wrestling until last year (I don't like the idea of a competition over more than 1 day)...preliminaries and repechage in the early session and finals in the late session...

moreover, having 12 individual events (10 kumite + 2 kata) in the schedule, I'd like to see 3 events per day over 4 days (1 kata and 2 kumite classes in the first 2 days and 3 kumite weights in the last 2 days, with the heavyweights always as the final class, of course)...

Today's action so far...

Men's Team Kata

Gold Medal Match: :JPN Japan vs :ESP Spain

Bronze Medal Match #1: :TUR Turkey vs :IRI Iran

Bronze Medal Match #2: :ITA Italy vs :MAS Malaysia

Women's Team Kata

Gold Medal Match: :JPN Japan vs :ESP Spain

Bronze Medal Match #1: :ITA Italy vs :SRB Serbia

Bronze Medal Match #2: :TUR Turkey vs :RUS Russia

Iran in team kumite final again :champion::clap: despite not being an Olympic event still team kumite is a very prestigious . Iran won this title in 2014 and 2016 and now there is a chance to win it for the 3rd time in a row. Iran had an easy draw until the semifinal where they beat Italy 3-0 thanks to Askari, Asiabari and Ganjzadeh winning their matches .

the final will be between Iran and Turkey.

what a pity. Iran lost to Japan in a very close match, :( before the last match for Alipour Iran was leading 1-0 and Alipour herself was leading 1-0. but lost it 2-1 in last 10 seconds and in extra match between Abbasli and Uekusa they finished 0-0 and Japan won by Hantei.