website statistics

Weightlifting IWF World Championships 2018

bestmen

7 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Fernando finished fourth, which is great. Maybe in a few years he will be awarded a medal. :p

there is no re-testing for the World Championships. if he is supposed to get a medal that will be in next few months :d

PS: when they disqualified Ilya Ilyin from both of his 2008 and 2012 gold medals they didn't take his other titles from him. he only lost his Olympic gold medals. nothing more.

so at the end, Iran finished the competition with 3 medals (which was the max I was expecting) 2 gold and 1 bronze. I think in general the team did well. I mean considering the expectations. we knew this time our team isn't that good. some of those youngsters showed some potential here. I think we will hear more from Davoudi, he could finish 4th or 5th here but risked it for a medal which was the correct decision.

I hope we can send a better team next year. this year their focus was on the Asian Games. even though Iran can qualify only TWO weightlifters for Tokyo so the Olympic qualification is not a big thing for Iran.

from those 9 banned countries, China and Belarus came back very strongly, Armenia was also good, (despite some dumb coaching mistakes) but I think it was very poor showing for the rest. specially Russia and Kazakhstan. I wonder if they can recover at all ?! the doping control is more strict nowadays. which is not a good news for them.

2 hours ago, AlFHg said:

I hope IWF will upload qualification ranking quickly :D in the while, is there a scheme summing up the situation of maximum number of athletes that NOCs can bring to Tokyo? I mean, including doping limitation

They already have updated it

https://www.iwf.net/qualif/menu/

ooooooooooh scandal :redcard:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1072134/hosts-turkmenistan-hired-suspended-doper-to-coach-weightlifting-world-championships-team

Turkmenistan hired a weightlifter who is in the middle of a four year suspension to coach them and the Turkmeni federation is now in trouble :facepalm: 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

ooooooooooh scandal :redcard:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1072134/hosts-turkmenistan-hired-suspended-doper-to-coach-weightlifting-world-championships-team

Turkmenistan hired a weightlifter who is in the middle of a four year suspension to coach them and the Turkmeni federation is now in trouble :facepalm: 

2m9lk8.jpg

I'm sure you guys saw this before that coaches slapping to the face of weightlifters before their attempts just to make them focus more.

but during this competition, 105kg category. while Iranian coach Barkhah did this to our weightlifter Mohammadreza Barari (before his 2nd CJ attempt), he caused a ruptured eardrum ! :yikes: poor guy Barari is now waiting a surgery ! he claims that was the reason he was dizzy in his last 2 CJ attempts and therefore missed the podium.

Barkhah is usually a nice and polite guy ! i'm sure he will never slap anybody else. he officially and publicly apologized for that.

• 5 months later...
On 10/11/2018 at 21:15, thiago_simoes said:

Fernando finished fourth, which is great. Maybe in a few years he will be awarded a medal. :p

per IWF  the Uzbek guy Djungabaev is tested positive for doping and now waiting for his suspension. when I read that the first thing came to my mind was your post :d

but the problem is IWF anti-doping news section didn't mention when it happened . now in April 2019 it's hard to believe that's for his World Championship sample but you never know  :p

PS:  his last competition was Qatar Cup in December 2018. that's probably where he got caught (or maybe an out of competition test) but knowing his surprising sudden improvement he wasn't clean at the Worlds for sure .