website statistics

Weightlifting IWF World Championships 2018

bestmen

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Mendez going from 190 to 200 to 210 (which he then failed). He is a man of big increments, last year he started with 203, then went to 214 which he missed....and to 221 which he missed too :d 

Billedresultat for go big or go home meme

It seems World Standards in non-Olympic weights will stand for a while. some of them probably forever. that was a poor level. finally a medal for Russia. which was gold but even Okulov was way way behind his own records at 85kg ! and here with 4 extra kilos he lifted less ! Mendez was very disappointing. maybe last year was just an accident. last year he wasn't that far from breaking the World Record

Just now I see how close Ahmed was to not making the weight :yikes:

rs906fe.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I don't really follow this sport because, well, Brazil sucks in weightlifting. But Fernando Reis will compete in the +109 kg division and he recently gave an interview where he said he had the third best result this year and he was hopeful for a medal here (he finished fourth last year). Does he have any chance even for a small medal? Things can change a lot over the course of one year in this sport, so... Just curious.

6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I don't really follow this sport because, well, Brazil sucks in weightlifting. But Fernando Reis will compete in the +109 kg division and he recently gave an interview where he said he had the third best result this year and he was hopeful for a medal here (he finished fourth last year). Does he have any chance even for a small medal? Things can change a lot over the course of one year in this sport, so... Just curious.

Actually he finished 6th last year :p 

Does it say anything about the weight he lifted this year? Because there's no international result available for him anywhere after last year's world champs, and the last one before that is the Olympics, so two competitions in two years is a bit hard to go on. His PB of 440kg, set at last year's world champs, was beaten this year by Lasha Talakhadze (457kg, 477kg last year and very clear favourite now), Behdad Salimi (461kg, but he retired), Saeid Hosseini (456kg, not competing) and Rustan Djangabaev (455kg). @MHSN is definitely the expert here, but my humble opinion is Reis might fight for bronze with mostly Gor Minasyan if the Armenian doesn't do what Armenians do and bomb out with a too high starting weight. Possibly silver, who knows.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Actually he finished 6th last year :p 

Does it say anything about the weight he lifted this year? Because there's no international result available for him anywhere after last year's world champs, and the last one before that is the Olympics, so two competitions in two years is a bit hard to go on. His PB of 440kg, set at last year's world champs, was beaten this year by Lasha Talakhadze (457kg, 477kg last year and very clear favourite now), Behdad Salimi (461kg, but he retired), Saeid Hosseini (456kg, not competing) and Rustan Djangabaev (455kg). @MHSN is definitely the expert here, but my humble opinion is Reis might fight for bronze with mostly Gor Minasyan if the Armenian doesn't do what Armenians do and bomb out with a too high starting weight. Possibly silver, who knows.

he has a chance for medal but I don't think his chance is too big, don't forget Ruslan Albegov here. also Turmandize and Seim will fight for a medal here. I think the race is wide open for silver and bronze. even though Djangabaev was very good in Jakarta despite finishing bronze behind Salimi and Alihosseini (and as you said none of them are here :facepalm:) and I think he is favorite for silver for here. even though we don't know about Albegov's current shape. but he used to be very good.

54 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

the Armenian coach is really weird , even yesterday he could have gone for a medal in 2nd attempt in C&J , then he just went for Gold and for a lift that his player seems he hasn't lift it ever 

there is no doubt that Armenian weightlifters/coaches acted very dumb here but in their defense, only 1kg was separating gold,silver and bronze medalists yesterday. he was needed 212 for silver. and 213 for the gold. even if I was in his place I would try for 213 to win the whole thing.

19 minutes ago, MHSN said:

there is no doubt that Armenian weightlifters/coaches acted very dumb here but in their defense, only 1kg was separating gold,silver and bronze medalists yesterday. he was needed 212 for silver. and 213 for the gold. even if I was in his place I would try for 213 to win the whole thing.

oh i didn't notice that thanks