website statistics

Weightlifting IWF World Championships 2018

bestmen

Those Olympic Channel commentators are so....strange sometimes :lol: 

Where I'm watching now, this is the current situation (a . means an attempt, so all four have one attempt remaining):

NVS0wyV.png

And then they go: "Arthur might go to 138....yeah but for second, she's not gonna try and hunt down Valentin." Other guy confirming it: "Yeah, second."

What? :dunno:

(I know it might have ended with gold for Valentin, I don't know yet, but that doesn't make their comments less strange :p They are not exactly geniuses of keeping track with the standings anyway. "That will move her up in 4th", about someone who was already in 4th)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Wow, USA/Jenny Arthur got robbed BIG time.....she would have won bronze if the last attempt of Salazar (Ecuador) failed, but two judges gave the ok, even though that last attempt was in absolutely no way a valid one...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

Hashemi is a two time World Champion now :d this is great for an average weightlifter like him. we had so many much better weightlifters had to retire with only 1 or 2 bronze or silver.

happy for Beiralvand and his bronze medal. that last CJ lift was unexpected.

and Sohrab Moradi at 96kg lifted 20kg more than Hashemi here :d

china prevails in small categories, Iran has the edge in bigger ones!

What most intrigued me was Ilyin's attempt card, with one declared attempt (and the whole thing crossed out because withdrawn) and his signature being just I L Y I N in huge letters written like a 5-year old :d 

14 hours ago, MHSN said:

unfortunately there is nothing in the rules against registering like this and withdrawing. and for "registering" you have to participate in weight-in and make weight which he did . that's all he had to do to fulfill one of those 6 qualification events.

That is surely a strange way to "participate"

Aramnau :yikes: 

Where has he been? His last competition was 4 years ago so the obvious guess is he took a wrong candy, but I can't find anything about him being banned other than for drinking while driving, drinking while driving and using weed :d 

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Aramnau :yikes: 

Where has he been? His last competition was 4 years ago so the obvious guess is he took a wrong candy, but I can't find anything about him being banned other than for drinking while driving, drinking while driving and using weed :d 

Here's an interview with him.

https://barbend.com/andrei-aramnau-interview/

He says he retired in 2016 due to many injuries. He started to train again in 2017. 

From the interview:

After your victory in Beijing you only competed twice Internationally before announcing your retirement in 2016.  Why did you compete so infrequently?

I was ready to to break my records after Beijing. I trained to set records and compete only when one of my records was in jeopardy of being broken. My main goal was to set World records that no man could ever break. In chase of these records I got injured.

First it was my left hip, then other injuries started to pile up. I realized that the way I was training would lead to consistent injuries and made adjustments but the injuries to my hip kept bothering me. I had to continue training to stay on the Belarus national team.

In 2010 I was in a competition, in the warmup room I did 180 in the snatch, then something happened to my hip, and I was again injured.

After that you all know that the Belarusian team did not extend my contract with me and that conflict is well known.

Why did you decide to comeback and compete for the 2020 games?

I have two answers, yes, I am preparing for 2020, to do that need I need to compete twice Internationally.

No one will just put me on the Olympic team. I hope to compete again Internationally at the 2019 European Championships. The Belarusian team has had some issues with doping so it might not be until Autumn of 2019. Due to these reasons I am considering lifting for another country as Belarus does not support me. If this were to happen I hope it will be sooner than later. I need to provide for my family.

Edited by wumo26

1 minute ago, wumo26 said:

Here's an interview with him.

He says he stopped in 2016 due to many injuries. He's started to train again in 2017. 

From the interview:

After your victory in Beijing you only competed twice Internationally before announcing your retirement in 2016.  Why did you compete so infrequently?

Hadn't even noticed that, but yeah, in the last 10 years his only international competitions were European champs in 2010 (in his home country) and 2014 :yikes: 

Rare chance to see a champion in action, I feel honoured :d 

Nurudinov in big trouble :( 

Aaaand he's out, RIP competition :cry: