website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2018

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

yeah a bit hard for the refs as well. so many dubious situations but I think the final score was just fair. very good officiating. even though they had to be corrected by challenge review panel lol

in first action, JPN had a takedown first (a bit dubious if he completed the TD or not. I think he did) then RUS lifted him from the mat and threw him for 4 (that's a 4 not 2 because RUS was on his feet and not sitting on the mat) and then JPN pushed him out of the mat. so 4-3 for Russia was correct.

in second action in first period (didn't go to challenge but still the call might be considered dubious) JPN attacked and RUS trying for a turn exposed himself and also JPN but Japanese wrestler's shoulders didn't touch the mat and in this case attacking wrestler doesn't lose point. so 2-0 for JPN was correct. (they gave 4pts to the defensive wrestler in such action even less less dubious than this one in 2016 Olympics in Gomez-Novruzov match which was a big robbery)

first action in second period. something more or less similar to the last one. expect this time. RUS wasn't sitting on the mat and when JPN threw him to his back none of them had contact with the mat except their feet. first they gave just 2 to JPN but after the challenge that was 4. which was correct.

second action in 2nd period with 30 seconds to go. more or less simllar to the 2nd one. JPN attacked , RUS on defensive mode tried a throw but his back exposed and then he had a takedown. at first they gave 2-1 to JPN after the challenge it was 2-2. but to me the correct call was 2-1. because Takedown on counter attack is just 1pt (and not 2) they gave him 2 justifying that by probably saying JPN also had exposure , to me he didn't. I guess they knew that but since they gave the previous one to JPN and the mafia boss Tedeyev was there. they didn't want to make him very angry ! (later he showed how he will react when he is angry)

at 14-10 . RUS on par-terre escaped from the mat very obvious. that's 1pts penalty and continue of the par-terre position in center of the mat. center referee stupidly forgot that and after few seconds they reminded him of the mistake.

Sometimes I am so very happy I found this forum :cheer:

Thanks for the pretty detailed explanation :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

19 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sometimes I am so very happy I found this forum :cheer:

Thanks for the pretty detailed explanation :d 

You are welcome but the problem is since rules are not 100% clear here. all those calls could go the other way easily if they wanted to. I know Japan doesn't cheat in general, that's not a part of their culture (unlike Korea and most of ex soviet countries) but they have someone big in UWW his name is Suzuki (forgot his position) so Japanese wrestlers usually don't get robbed. if he was from India or Cuba I think would give that match to Chakaev. even though I have to admit the officiating was better in general in this tournament. 

but you better take a look at this one. from Rio Olympics. disgusting, that's shame for this sport

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/olympic-games?tab=match/364/seniors-fs-65-navruzovi-uzb-gomezf-pur/b452aa7f-42be-11e6-8e79-0050569b5d53

this one more or less the same action. but this isn't even dubious. 2 for blue. VERY VERY clear. if you listen to the conversations you can see for yourself. UWW took actions later against some of these guys. banned from the Olympics. (no big deal since that was the last day) The judge from Georgia (the man with white hair) and that big fat Russian in review panel were dirty. no doubt about that, the same group of refs later screwed one of our wrestlers as well. the center ref from Korea at first gave 2pts to blue but then he changed it easily and even when they asked him about his opinion he was insisting on 2 red ! I don't know if he was just stupid or corrupt (probably both). that Spanish lady on review panel tried hard for 2 blue but she had to give up eventually. probably the only "clean person" from 5 officials of that match.

Great effort by Alejandra Romero in women's 59kg

5th place in the end is a great result against stronger nations in the sport; what I can't understand is why she always does rather good at World and Continental Championships, but always fails to deliver at regional games :mumble:

Today's Semifinals

women's -50kg
:JPN Yui Susaki vs :UKR Oksana Livach
:PRK Kim Son Hyang vs :AZE Mariya Stadnik

women's -53kg
:USA Sarah Ann Hildebrandt vs :CAN Diana Mary Helen Weicker
:JPN Haruna Okuno vs :POL Katarzyna Krawczyk

women's -57kg
:CHN Rong Ningning vs :NOR Grace Bullen
:BUL Bilyana Zhivkova Dudova vs :HUN Emese Barka

women's -62kg
:USA Mallory Maxine Velte vs :BUL Taybe Mustafa Yusein
:JPN Yukako Kawai vs :UKR Yuliia Tkach Ostapchuk

Today's Medal Matches

women's -65kg
Gold Medal Match: :FIN Petra marit Olli vs :CAN Danielle Suzanne Lappage
Bronze Medal Match #1: :IND Ritu Ritu vs :JPN Ayana Gempei
Bronze Medal Match #2: :USA Forrest Ann Molinari vs :AZE Irina Netreba

women's -68kg
Gold Medal Match: :FRA Koumba Selene Fanta Larroque vs :UKR Alla Cherkasova
Bronze Medal Match #1: :BLR Maryia Mamashuk vs :CHN Zhou Feng
Bronze Medal Match #2: :CAN Olivia Grace Di Bacco vs :USA Tamyra Mariama Mensah

women's -72kg
Gold Medal Match: :CAN Justina Renay Di Stasio vs :MGL Nasanburmaa Ochirbat
Bronze Medal Match #1: :AUT Martina Kuenz vs :EGY Samar Amer Ibrahim Hamza
Bronze Medal Match #2: :CHN Wang Yuan vs :TUR Buse Tosun

women's -76kg
Gold Medal Match: :USA Adeline Maria Gray vs :TUR Yasemin Adar
Bronze Medal Match #1: :JPN Hiroe Minagawa Suzuki vs :HUN Zsanett Nemeth
Bronze Medal Match #2: :CAN Erica Elizabeth Wiebe vs :EST Epp Mae

and Japan makes it 2 out of 2 in this session so far...

:JPN Okuno, in fact, won against a brave Krawczyk and will face :USA Hildebrandt (who won the North-American derby against the Canadian Weicker) in the gold medal match of the -53kg...

Edited by phelps