website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2018

Totallympics

17 minutes ago, phelps said:

wow! that's an upset! :IRI Hadi beat :TUR Akgul in the superheavyweights!!! :yikes::bowdown:

And to think we were told that was 100% impossible :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

what a drama. Burroughs-Sidakov match. the last 30 seconds was just wow. first Burroughs took the lead. Sidakov made it 4-3 with a TD. then Jordan madfe a TD made it 5-4 and Sidakov had a pushout with just 1 second to go. 5-5 (later 6-5 with a failed challenge) all these actions in last 30 seconds. and with this Hosseinkhani is officially out.

125kg American guy also lost to China. 10 minutes ago thery were thinking about 4 finalists. now they have only 2 in the SF.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

And to think we were told that was 100% impossible :p 

who said that ? :d

well I never had faith in Hadi but he was very good today. before Akgul he beat Olympic bronze medalist Saidov quite easily. this is his chance to win a medal here. ironically he almost retired from wrestling after Rio 2016 controversy (the way he didn't selected for the team)

at least we will have a wrestler for afernoon session ! and Hadi was the last one I was expecting to make it this far.

19 hours ago, MHSN said:

125kg. I barely remember a draw worse than this ! unbelievable . just unbelievable. if I had to name top 8 wrestlers in this weight. 7 of them are in bottom half. and with both Akgul and Geno there. all other wrestlers have no chance for medal already. (including our wrestler Hadi) 

Hello :d 

Of course I know 'no chance' never actually means 'no chance' but still :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, hckosice said:

So both Russians wearing the jerseys with Slovak emblem lost respectively to Turkey. But since both :TUR wrestlers advanced to the semis, does it mean that if both Demirtas and Erdin wins their semis, the "SVK" wrestlers will go to repechage ?

Yes and both Turks are huge favorites to make it to the final.specially Erdin with his super easy draw. I think at least Makoev has no problem winning the bronze.

Just now, MHSN said:

Yes and both Turks are huge favorites to make it to the final.specially Erdin with his super easy draw. I think at least Makoev has no problem winning the bronze.

So I understood correctly how the rules works here, I´m super happy then :d Thanks :yes

These streams are no YouTube streams right? It'll be hard to watch the quarter/semi finals later today without knowing the results then I guess :p 

19 saat önce, heywoodu said:

Where's the Cuban legend who throws Akgul around when it really matters (Olympics)? :(

Edit: never mind, he's a Greco-Roman wrestler, my bad :d 

I was not much surprised that Akgul lost before semi-final. He changed a lot after the olympic gold. Before the gold he was a very humble and hard-working guy. We had not seen him in TV's too much, he had not talked much to TV's. However, after the olympics, he talks a lot, he always says he is already a legend, his name will be in the history books even 100 years later (btw we have had great wrestlers in our history, much better than Akgul). I thought last year lost again the Georgian would be enough warning for him but he said the same things just before this championships. He also says there is not a guy strong enough to practice so he goes to United States to practice with Snyder. What I do not understand is that how come a 97 KG guy can be stronger than a 125 kg wrestler even if he is not an olympic champion. Akgul also said right before the championships that last year was bad luck and Georgian was lucky. However, to my opinion, last year final was a great match and the Georgian was not lucky at all. He was just very good. 

Anyways, I am sorry that Akgul lost but I am not surprised, if you lose yourself in these kind of sports you would always be remembered. Luckily, it was not in the olympics. At least we have two guys in the semi finals. 

Edited by merlinsbeard