website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2018

Totallympics

Next question :d 

At around 12:15 in this video, red is being thrown around by blue yet red gets all the points? What's up with that? I mean, blue controls him, gets on top of him and right then the ref says "2 points red". I thought the goal was to control your opponent instead of let your opponent control you?

Spoiler

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Next question :d 

At around 12:15 in this video, red is being thrown around by blue yet red gets all the points? What's up with that? I mean, blue controls him, gets on top of him and right then the ref says "2 points red". I thought the goal was to control your opponent instead of let your opponent control you?

Hide contents

It's not only about who gets the control at the end. 1 for blue was correct. Red was never exposed to lose 2pts. expose means your back on the mat or at least with more 90 degree angle. Blue got one point at the end because of his takedown (counter attack takedown means 1pt and not 2) but I also believe Red could get 2 and not 4. they gave him 2+2. the gave him a 2 at the start of the action considered blue as exposed which was dubious to me but the 2nd "2" was indeed correct both of his shoulders touched the mat at the same time.

I would give it 2-1 for Red the whole action but well certain countries usually get the calls in dubious situations. 6 came to my mind, South Korea is one of them. plus the host nation (in this case Hungary)

12 minutes ago, MHSN said:

It's not only about who gets the control at the end. 1 for blue was correct. Red was never exposed to lose 2pts. expose means your back on the mat or at least with more 90 degree angle. Blue got one point at the end because of his takedown (counter attack takedown means 1pt and not 2) but I also believe Red could get 2 and not 4. they gave him 2+2. the gave him a 2 at the start of the action considered blue as exposed which was dubious to me but the 2nd "2" was indeed correct both of his shoulders touched the mat at the same time.

I would give it 2-1 for Red the whole action but well certain countries usually get the calls in dubious situations. 6 came to my mind, South Korea is one of them. plus the host nation (in this case Hungary)

Still glad to see the red guy got manhandled in the fight for bronze though, it keeps feeling unfair to me :lol:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 months ago in Jakarta Shinobu Ota beat Mehrdad Mardani by this technique and after 2 months he exactly did the same and won it 9-1 ! Mardani is a very good wrestler but has no chance against this guy. out of 30 other wrestlers in the competition Ota was the only one I wanted Mardani to avoid. and that was exactly what he got in the first round ! that was a dream draw :d

if refs don't pull a rabbit out of their hat. this Japanese guy should go to the final and win the gold medal.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

2 months ago in Jakarta Shinobu Ota beat Mehrdad Mardani by this technique and after 2 months he exactly did the same and won it 9-1 ! Mardani is a very good wrestler but has no chance against this guy. out of 30 other wrestlers in the competition Ota was the only one I wanted Mardani to avoid. and that was exactly what he got in the first round ! that was a dream draw :d

if refs don't pull a rabbit out of their hat. this Japanese guy should go to the final and win the gold medal.

Aaaaand Ota lost to Kazakhstan...

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

1 minute ago, Quasit said:

Aaaaand Ota lost to Kazakhstan...

yeah that was that rabbit I talked about. actually this is the reserve guy of Kazakhstan (they sent their #1 to Jakarta who won the bronze while Ota won the gold) but refs did a great job keeping the match close. still Ota came back and took the lead but Sultangali had a nice throw at the end to win the match.

and this is a very rare thing to see a Japanese protesting to the refs. they usually don't do that

it seems Serbia will have 2 finalists at the end of the day ! a mixture of good draw and good performance indeed.

btw, 87kg draw is probably the more balanced draw in history of wrestling :d all 8 wrestlers in quarterfinal are good enough to be here. never saw such a thing before.

Edited by MHSN

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

it seems Serbia will have 2 finalists at the end of the day ! a mixture of good draw and good performance indeed.

btw, 87kg draw is probably the more balanced draw in history of wrestling :d all 8 wrestlers in quarterfinal are good enough to be here. never saw such a thing before.

Stefanek was favorite for at least semifinal but i am quite surprised with Fris. His draw wasnt that hard but counting his age he did excelent job.