website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2018

Totallympics

Только что, phelps сказал:

Frank Chamizo (74 kg, #1 seed...but what's the advantage when Demirtas and Borroughs are not seeded? :crazy:)

Agree 100%. I dont get the seeding structure at all. UWW must find some other way to seed top wrestlers. This one has 0 effectivness.

40 minutes ago, Daşlı Oğul said:

Freestyle team is weak. From what i know Iran has huge financial problems which is affecting financing wrestling as well. November according to UWW calendar Iran is going to host U-15, cadet and junior international tournaments. Do you think there is a possibility they can be cancelled?

because of daddy Trump. the whole economy of Iran is in crisis now. but hosting competitions is not a big issue yet. the problem is sending teams abroad. they have to pay 3-4 times more than a year ago for plane tickets etc.

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

:ITA Italy

Freestyle

Givi Davidovi (57 kg)

Frank Chamizo (74 kg, #1 seed...but what's the advantage when Demirtas and Borroughs are not seeded? :crazy:)

Abraham Conyedo (97 kg)

at least he can get a bye in first round :d (unless there are exactly 32 wrestlers)

this year's seeding is a joke because they didn't consider last year WCh results (since UWW changed weight classes this year)

where is Kudiamagomedov ? still not eligible ?

Только что, MHSN сказал:

because of daddy Trump. the whole economy of Iran is in crisis now. but hosting competitions is not a big issue yet. the problem is sending teams abroad. they have to pay 3-4 times more than a year ago for plane tickets etc.

I see. However from what i know, when iran hosts scoolbooys, cadet and junior competitions, Iranian federation pays for the tickets and accomodation. At least its the way how it works with Azerbaijan and its really good for us, due to the fact that our federation is also in crisis.

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Wow, no one can afford that unless you are pretty well off.

5 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

at least he can get a bye in first round :d (unless there are exactly 32 wrestlers)

this year's seeding is a joke because they didn't consider last year WCh results (since UWW changed weight classes this year)

where is Kudiamagomedov ? still not eligible ?

I don't know...

I hope he's "only" injured and that there are no problems with his Italian documents (actually, it shouldn't be the case, since he already was with our team at the Europeans last May...he did even win the bronze medal in Kaspiisk)...:mumble:

I sent an e-mail to our NF...I hope they give me an answer sooner or later...

Edited by phelps

Indian Squad for the Championships

Freestyle: Sandeep Tomar (57kg), Sonba Tanaji Gongane (61kg), Bajrang Punia (65kg), Pankaj Rana (70kg), Jitender (74kg), Sachin Rathi (79kg), Pawan Kumar (86kg), Deepak (92kg) Mausam Khatri (97kg), Sumit (125kg), Jagminder Singh (chief coach).

Women: Ritu Phogat (50kg), Pinki (53kg), Seema (55kg), Pooja Dhanda (57kg), Sangeeta (59kg), Sakshi Malik (62kg), Ritu (65kg), Navjot Kaur (68kg), Rajini (72kg), Kiran (76kg), Kuldeep Malik (chief coach).

Greco Roman: Vijay (55kg), Gyanender (60kg), Gaurav Sharma (63kg), Manish (67kg), Kuldeep Malik (72kg), Gurpreet Singh (77kg), Manjeet (82kg), Harpreet Singh (87kg), Hardeep (97kg), Naveen (130kg), Kuldeep Singh (chief coach).

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

Isn't it confusing that half of the Indian athletes only have one name? I mean, there must be millions of Vijay's and Manjeet's :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 godzin temu, heywoodu napisał:

Isn't it confusing that half of the Indian athletes only have one name? I mean, there must be millions of Vijay's and Manjeet's :p 

Maybe they are like heroes of one of Terry Pratchett's novel? Big Manjeet, Little Manjeet and of course No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Manjeet-But-Bigger-than-Wee-Manjeet Manjeet?

Edited by Col_Frost

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

It is actually very annoying for many of us Indians as well.

The thing is that a large number of our wrestlers and boxers come from the state of Haryana.

Now I am no expert in the subject, and somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand, many people in Haryana believe in never ever using your surname with your name because your surname identifies your caste. 

There has been some unfortunate caste-based violence in the past in Haryana and, as a result, many believe that the best way to avoid it is to just never ever reveal your caste as it doesn't matter. In fact, I think some of the big boxing and wrestling stables in Haryana actually have a rule that you are not allowed to use your surname.