website statistics

World Beach Games 2019

Olympian1010

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

I'm surprised no one tried to force Parkour into this.

Parkour is most certainly not a beach sport. Parkour is one of the only legitimately urban sports out there.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

54 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

:lol: 

What about skateboarding?

I explained why this one made sense earlier. Street skating, Parkour, and Breaking are arguably the most urban sports in existence. 

When the games were were supposed to be held in San Diego it made sense to include Park skating. First and foremost because the World Urban Games didn’t exist yet. Second because in California, Park Skating is highly associated with beaches. The most iconic skatepark in the world is at Venice Beach. So it made sense for skating to be included. Hopefully that answers your question.

As for Boulder, I’m pretty sure someone got drunk or hit their head after a good day of climbing and some how came to the conclusion that it’s a beach sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

30 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I explained why this one made sense earlier. Street skating, Parkour, and Breaking are arguably the most urban sports in existence. 

When the games were were supposed to be held in San Diego it made sense to include Park skating. First and foremost because the World Urban Games didn’t exist yet. Second because in California, Park Skating is highly associated with beaches. The most iconic skatepark in the world is at Venice Beach. So it made sense for skating to be included. Hopefully that answers your question.

As for Boulder, I’m pretty sure someone got drunk or hit their head after a good day of climbing and some how came to the conclusion that it’s a beach sport.

I honestly thought you were joking, and now I'm even more baffled to know you are not.

On 21/09/2019 at 05:20, Olympian1010 said:

@hckosice :SVK should have had 6 athletes in Qatar, but the NOC or athletes rejected quotas for Sport Climbing and Open Water Swimming :cry:

Apparently we will have 4. Our NOC decided to accept the femal marathon swimming quota for Karolína Balážiková. Let´s hope she will not accidentally swim into Iran.

https://www.olympic.sk/clanok/na-oktobrovych-premierovych-svetovych-plazovych-hrach-anov-v-dauhe-budu-sutazit-styria

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

Apparently we will have 4. Our NOC decided to accept the femal marathon swimming quota for Karolína Balážiková. Let´s hope she will not accidentally swim into Iran.

https://www.olympic.sk/clanok/na-oktobrovych-premierovych-svetovych-plazovych-hrach-anov-v-dauhe-budu-sutazit-styria

It’s a shame they rejected the Boulder quota :(. I’ve never seen a Slovak climber before.

Just now, donerkebab said:

Team Turkey :TUR consists 13 athletes in 3 diciplines. 3 in Karate , 2 in Kite and 8 in Beach wrestling.

http://olimpiyatkomitesi.org.tr/Olimpiyat-Oyunlari-Detay/133/1

:TUR should have a decent chance at winning a medal here. I’m shocked they didn’t qualify a bigger team to be honest. I guess the lack of combat sports really hurts them.

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

:TUR should have a decent chance at winning a medal here. I’m shocked they didn’t qualify a bigger team to be honest. I guess the lack of combat sports really hurts them.

Yeah , I wish Beach Taekwondo could make it to final list.