website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

The championships are over, so I will sum them up in my opinion:
+ high sports level (in my opinion only two finals were below level - gentlemen javelin and ladies long jump)
+ infrastructure
+ equal opportunities in technical competitions for everyone (especially windy)
- judges (especially walking route)
- organizers' behavior related to covering seats with sheets
- boredom marathon and walking route.
If I think of something, I will write it.

What do you think?

Just now, TomJa said:

+ high sports level (in my opinion only two finals were below level - gentlemen javelin and ladies long jump)
+ infrastructure

What do you think?

Yeah I’d say this about sums it up. It really is a shame they weren’t in London or Berlin or Eugene this year :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Przed chwilą, Olympian1010 napisał:

Yeah I’d say this about sums it up. It really is a shame they weren’t in London or Berlin or Eugene this year :(

In terms of place, the IAAF shot itself in the foot. But although the budget will increase :mad:.

Just now, TomJa said:

In terms of place, the IAAF shot itself in the foot. But although the budget will increase :mad:.

Well hopefully as the Gulf Coast continues it’s meteoric economic rise, more sports fans become willing to travel there to watch events. I guarantee you this is only the beginning of big events heading to Qatar, UAE, and Saudi Arabia (and maybe Kuwait or Bahrain since they have grand plans too).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Przed chwilą, Olympian1010 napisał:

Well hopefully as the Gulf Coast continues it’s meteoric economic rise, more sports fans become willing to travel there to watch events. I guarantee you this is only the beginning of big events heading to Qatar, UAE, and Saudi Arabia (and maybe Kuwait or Bahrain since they have grand plans too).

I don't have anything to organize because Qatar surprised me in plus. Various federations will definitely give organizations to seemingly exotic countries, because it will pay off for them.

@Olympian1010 do not know if American athletes complained about the hotel base?

I think the action inside the stadium was very good, the men’s 3000m steeplechase  has to be the highlight of the championships for me. It’s too bad that the first week felt dead.

Overall I guess it was okay as a TV event. But I am very happy we are going to a proper athletics town in 2021.

my quick summary...

- depressing athmosphere in the stadium (except for the last 2 days) and outside the stadium (always)...

- running the long distance competitions at midnight and still having to cope with crazy uncomfortable conditions and putting at risk the athletes' health...IAAF are only a bunch of criminals...

- usual shameful judging in race walking...this events are more and more a farce...so, or they are going to immediately find the right way and change everything or it's better to get rid of it completely...right now, it's just a political distribution of medals...

- quite a few boring competitions, dominated from start to finish by one athlete...that's not enjoyable at all as a neutral viewer (even if I understand a possible different POV by those emotionally involved in those events)...

- the farce of the mixed relays...

- the absolute farce of the NOP athletes, stronger than ever just when their "mastermind" is finally found guilty of any sort of disgraceful behaviour (with at least 15 years delay, but still)...

+ some absolutely wonderful competitions...doped or not, the protagonists of some of this championships' events have gifted us with some of the most entertaining and exciting races ever in their own disciplines...

+ the sport related infrastructure...we can say all the bad we want about the Gulf Nations, but man! the stadiums they've built are just wonderful and they've been able to make even these desertic lands fascinating...chapeau! for that...:hatoff:

in conclusion, I'm a conservative, a traditionalist and a pure sport lover...so, I hope not to see anymore any sport event held in places like this, but I understand that "pecunia non olet" and therefore my wish is going to be disattended very soon and always more day after day...

but still, nobody will change my memories and will make me change my mind...watching an Athletics World Championship in London or Paris or Berlin is just another thing, another experience (a lot more entertaining and exciting, of course)...:whistle:

Edited by phelps

3 hours ago, TomJa said:

+ infrastructure

What do you think?

Womens long jump was below level when Mihambos winning mark was the best female performance of the whole competition (based on IAAF points) ... ?

Also what makes womens long jump worse than mens 200 m, mens 400 m, mens 5000 m, mens 110 m hurdles, mens 400 m hurdles, mens discus throw, mens hammer throw, mens decathlon, womens 200 m, womens 800 m, womens shot put, womens hammer throw or womens javelin throw?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not sure about Eugene ... how big is the stadium and what was the attendance for the US trials this year for example?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.