website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

Timetable and qualification system has been released.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/news/2019-iaaf-world-athletics-championships-timet

We will have midnight running. Both Marathons starts at midnight local time. Also the Race Walking events start at around midnight. On day 8, October 4, the last event of the heptathlon, the 800m, has been scheduled for 12.05 am, which will be followed at 12.15am by the last event of the decathlon, the 1,500m.

Qualification system:

Individual athletes can qualify in one of three ways:
- being among the best ranked athletes at the end of the qualification period as per the IAAF World Rankings.
- by Wild Card as the reigning world champion outdoors, winner of the 2019 IAAF Diamond League or leader (as at closing date of the final entries) of the IAAF Hammer Throw Challenge, IAAF Race Walk Challenge or IAAF Combined Events Challenge. Member federations will be allowed one Wild Card entry per discipline, with a maximum of four athletes from any one country allowed entry into each discipline, in addition to a reserve.
- by achieving the entry standard within the qualification period in accordance with criteria decided by IAAF. Entry standards, which will be determined on 1 November 2018, will be set for the sole purpose of qualifying athletes with exceptional performances who are unable to qualify through the IAAF World Rankings pathway.

File: https://media.aws.iaaf.org/competitioninfo/791203d1-be0e-4047-8a42-1b33994d000c.pdf

Edited by wumo26

@hckosice Gonna join me and hopefully some others for a race walk all-nighter (or at least until 3-4 am?)? :woohoo:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

@hckosice Gonna join me and hopefully some others for a race walk all-nighter (or at least until 3-4 am?)? :woohoo:

Sure.

Not gonna miss this for sure. A late night race in totally empty streets of Qatar and judges trying to watch by their own eyes if the athletes are walking within the rules around 2 AM. Gonna be fun :d

13 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Sure.

Not gonna miss this for sure. A late night race in totally empty streets of Qatar and judges trying to watch by their own eyes if the athletes are walking within the rules around 2 AM. Gonna be fun :d

50km race walk during the night just absolutely screams drinking game :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

by the way, it's midnight local time, which means 11 p.m. CET as of current time rules (but in a year the whole EU could adopt the GMT+1 time 12 months/year*, so Qatar's midnight would become 10 p.m. CET)...:evil:

*hopefully not...and in any case, I hope it would be GMT +2 all year long...I hate those winter days when it's already dark at 4 p.m. (and I hate even more the idea of getting dark at 6/7 p.m. in the Summer days)...:facepalm:

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

@hckosice Gonna join me and hopefully some others for a race walk all-nighter (or at least until 3-4 am?)? :woohoo:

It’s gonna be great mid-day TV for me so...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela