website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

Just now, phelps said:

well, I guess Mayer disagrees...

I am just pointing the guy is the youngest participant of this decathlon and has some impressive numbers in the most important events of the Day 2. That´s quite something. Mayer is ofc out of reach currently (if being at his 100% shape ofc)

Just now, Monzanator said:

Well, given the schedule and Miller-Uibo going for 400, DAS was immediately upgraded as 200m favorite. Thiam's elbow injury proved to be real, she didn't throw over 50m all season and if she couldn't have those 12-15m on KJT there, she was never going to win gold. Not to mention KJT's result is 6th all-time so not exactly 22,52-level in 200m ;)

If you really predicted DAS to win 200 m gold, then good for you. I thought SAFP or Thompson would win the gold, but then they withdrew. I also considered Thiam the favorite for gold, but again, if you predicted gold for KJT then congrats. I hope that after the end of the world championships all predicitions will be revealed so that we will see what other people thought who the favorite was.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, hckosice said:

It´s fair to say Kaul will be the next Decathlon king for some time

Lol ... how old is Mayer? Also Zhoya is improving rapidly!

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, hckosice said:

It´s fair to say Kaul will be the next Decathlon king for some time

No, I wouldn't say that. Mayer and Uibo are 28 years old in Tokyo, best Decathlete age. Also don't forget Johannes Erm from Estonia, also a great talent who won Silver at this years Under-23 European Championships, I am sure he will be shot in the next years. He was injured this WCh. Hopefully all stay healthy, then we could have some decent contests for medals (with Mayer ofc favourite for Gold in Tokyo if he is in shape).

Warner? I don't know. Today he seemed very uninspired as if he was running on emergency power.

Edited by LowerSaxony

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

If you really predicted DAS to win 200 m gold, then good for you. I thought SAFP or Thompson would win the gold, but then they withdrew. I also considered Thiam the favorite for gold, but again, if you predicted gold for KJT then congrats. I hope that after the end of the world championships all predicitions will be revealed so that we will see what other people thought who the favorite was.

Thompson looked very slow in 100m already. There was no doubt she won't threaten DAS in the 200m and it's no wonder she pulled out. If Ta Lou didn't win a medal in 100m I guess she'd have entered 200m and maybe challenged DAS. Schippers was a non-factor all season tbh.

I picked Thiam for gold but I was unaware the elbow issue will kill her JV so much. Likewise I didn't think Thompson would be so awful here.

With Mayer out, that was Canada's only real shot at gold here.  Unless the 4x100 M team can work magic, which is not impossible given De Grasse and Brown's performances in Doha so far.  Still, it's a long shot.  Sage Watson could put together a surprise tomorrow in the 400 hurdles since she's been having a great season, but even a medal for her would be incredible.  5 medals so far, and another 1 or 2 would be great leading to Tokyo.  

For years Canada had nothing in swimming or the track, and Rio gave us 6 medals in each.  Canada just got their most medals at the swimming champs this year, and could tie their most in Doha with some break throughs (8 medals).  So that's nice.